HELP! Messed up setting on Shift motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Messed up setting on Shift motor

Fordy nine

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton New jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
I fixed my shift motor 2 months ago when i joined this site-- did what you said, and it worked, after 5 years. All of a sudden, it just stopped working again - no 4wd

So other day took the whole thing off again and changed the little rubber piece to a harder piece of rubber, though maybe the soft grommet rode up on that little raised part and got stuck- one side of the grommet was a bit flattened... But didnt think that was so cause that little motor is strong..

So i put a new little almost urethane thing on their bolted it all up and it worked again. Light came on dash, and that was that. So i just pushed the switch again to to disengage the 4wd.

Then other day just for heck of it pushed button on dash and nothing again..

Checked all connections- everything good pushed button on computer stlil nothing

So today I left the motor on but took off the little round plate to just look inside- i marked it but all I did was scratch the dirt on it, so i lost the setting-

Its not off by much, but it could be off as much as a 1/2"

So now what do i do?

Every time i had the motor off i bench tested it and that works fine

Whats going on her and how do i find that setting?

You can use the electrical schematic found in Explorer repair info guides to test the shift motors wire harness. Basically you will set a mult-meter for resistance and test the continuity between the pins on the wire harness. You are shooting for 2H so if they don't match up you rotate the cover slightly 1/16 - 1/8 inch and try again.. If they still don't match then begin again, but rotate the cover in the opposite direction..

Back