Help! Need a new automatic transmission! Can I use a late-model one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Need a new automatic transmission! Can I use a late-model one?

WayneP

Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Bauer
Hi everyone,

My automatic transmission just went out again in my 1992 Eddie Bauer Explorer. Last time I spend a fortune getting it rebuilt; just don’t have the cash for that this time, so I’m doing it “on the cheap.†I’m going to get one from a salvage yard and put it in myself! Fortunately I have a friend who used to be a mechanic, so it shouldn’t be so bad.

My question is, what is the latest model transmission that’s compatible? I figure the newer one I can get, the better chance I’ll have of getting one that will last a long time.

Anything else I need to be aware of is appreciated.

Regards,
Wayne P
:exp:

I'm sure I'm going to be corrected on this, but as far as I know, the latest trans. that you will be able to install should be 1994. Everything after that is computer controlled.

Correct. If you're looking for "plug and play" simplicity to replace your '92 A4LD, you can use any A4LD from '88-'94 Ranger/BroncoII/Explorer. '94 4.0 A4LD's have the upgrades to make them stronger than anything else (though any A4LD can be built to '94 specs).

Ditto. We assume you plan on keeping the truck for quite a while, yes. Do find an A4LD which hasn't been burned up.

Lastly though, and really most importantly, clean the radiator cooler, any aux. cooler, the lines, and INSTALL a filter at the INPUT side of the transmission. There will be some sediment left in the lines, and they are the main cause of failures, after a first failure. Place a filter in the line after the other parts, on the INPUT side of the transmission.

Brain or Glacier, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most Ford auto transmissions have the top line on the trans as the output, and the bottom line as the input. Make sure first, but this may save the next trans, no matter how good it is. Good luck,
DonW

Back