Help! new plugs etc.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! new plugs etc..

Ian Bungart

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 EDDIE BAUER
Hey all! so im stumped on this issue. Yesterday I was driving kind of pushing my exp hard while driving, I started her with the remote start 10 min before I left, heat was working awesome, acceleration was great as usual, no misfire or warning codes on the dash. ready for my 40 min drive to work right? WRONG!

While driving about 30 min into my drive after passing a couple people and pushing the car no harder than I usually do I turned a corner and POOF, the bypass hose between the thermostat housing and water pump blew, ( water pump, bypass hose, thermostat and housing all new 1 yr ago) she had plenty of coolant and was doing just fine all the way until I pulled over and shut off the car, Did not let the truck overheat, I did have to start the car a couple times for about 2-3 mins for the tow truck guy and to back off of the tow truck, but no overheating. well the line was fixed. While driving back home, I noticed that the car sounded a little louder than usual. did not think anything of this. again after the repair heat was working just fine no misfires or anything along those lines. about mid drive I attempt to accelerate up a small incline and the car starts to spudder and shake while accelerating, every time I pressed the gas it would sputter and shake, had barley any power unless I slowly pressed the gas, then the shake was somewhat more of a small vibration. but if I was to push more than just a feather weight it would hesitate, pop, rumble shudder, shake. and smell like over burnt or rich gas. about a month ago, coil pack, plugs, wires, oil change, oil filter, and and exhaust from the flange connecting to the cats all the way back is new, all parts where motorcraft parts including the exhaust.
regular maintenance is preformed religiously. this was not an issue until the coolant hose blew without warning. now its coming up with CYL#5 MISS, I removed the boot, cleaned out each port to the coil pack, dielectric grease was placed in and everything put back. still CYL#5. and no power under hard or medium acceleration. the car has 187,780miles. bought new at 75,000 miles 3 years ago. I am just stumped!

any help would be great! (sorry about the long post)!

I had a similar issue a few years back on my 2006 Explorer V8. All new motorcraft plugs and coils, but kept going misfire on cyl 7. Turn out to be a bad brand new spark plug. That was over 2 years ago

I had a similar issue a few years back on my 2006 Explorer V8. All new motorcraft plugs and coils, but kept going misfire on cyl 7. Turn out to be a bad brand new spark plug. That was over 2 years ago

Yeah, it turns Out that the 4.0 ignition systems are extremely sensitive to begin with, mine was the coil pack was shorted out when the hose blew up, swapped that since it was warranted, good as new!

Back