• Register Today It's free!

Help!!!! No warranty....

RIKK03

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited 4X2
Here's the deal, I bought a used 2003 explorer Limited and it's the shop right now for 30K schedule maintenance. I was toldby the shop that the front brake pads are pretty much gone and needs to be replaced. I called the ford service if brake job is covered and they said NO. Why not??? the vehicle is still under mfr. warranty plus I purchased the premium care warranty till 75000 miles. Service said that they it would be free if I purchased it new but c'mon it's less than 2 yrs old and still under Mfr. warranty. Any suggestions on how i can convinced them to fix it for free? :mad: :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brake pads wear out over time. Just like tires, oil, even your fuel. Wanting a car manufacturer to replace your brake pads for free is a little over the top. 30k is about the lowest amount of miles brake pads should last for. It's not like they only lasted a few thousand. My vote would be to bite the bullet and pay the $25 for pads.

I believe Ford will only cover brakes when there's actually something wrong with it, interfering the braking effort. Otherwise, it's only covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles.

I don't mind paying for the pads but the shop gave me an estimate for $288.00. It includes something about the rotor.

Gotta love dealer costs...........

They are probably referring to "turning" the rotors, which means that the pads wore so much that they created grooves in the rotors, and the rotors need resurfacing.

3 options:
A) pay an arm and leg at dealer
B) have an independent shop do it, probably $60-100
C) do it yourself, about $25 plus turning, which some stores will do for free when you buy their rotors.

I agree with Robb. It's really not a hard job, if you've done them before. $288 is high. Even if you have to replace one rotor, I think they only run about $60 at autozone. Just ask some friends and you might find someone willing to do it cheap. Heck, I know a guy that would do it for beer (um....not me, of course.)

Thanks guys. What got me is that i just bought the vehicle 6 mos. ago and supposedly the dealer did a 500 point certified check. I guess they missed this one..Ohh well..life must go on..

RIKK03 said:
Thanks guys. What got me is that i just bought the vehicle 6 mos. ago and supposedly the dealer did a 500 point certified check. I guess they missed this one..Ohh well..life must go on..

Point #501 is the brakes. :p

But as others have said, just do them yourself. Becasue they are disks, it's a piece of cake. Should only take an hour tops. Take a look at your rotors, maybe they don't need to be turned right away.

RIKK03 said:
A lot can happen in 6 months. How many miles did you drive the truck? It sounds like somebody (u or previous owner) was hard on the brakes and they've worn out. 30,000 miles isn't unusual, especially if there was a lot of trailer towing involved. Figure out how to do it yourself, its really not that hard. Pick up a Haynes manual, they just released the edition for the '02 and newer Explorers.

Yeah, but they should have atleast warranteed the rotors in not the brake. I would think being certified you should get new(like new)brake pads and rotors. Everything should be in like new condition.

You should report those thieving *******s to a consumer report agency or one of those on-your-side tv news station.

If the truck ate through new or like new pads in such a short period then there just might be something wrong with your vehicle.

30k miles on a set of pads seems pretty good to me, I'm lucky if i get close to that on my truck. Brakes are considered a normal wear and tear item, they wear out over time it's a garaunteed. If you're hard on the brakes IE stop quickly you will wear the brakes out alot faster and possibly warp the rotors. Suck it up, it's part of owning a vehicle. If you feel the price for new brakes is to high goto another place like others have suggested you should be able to get it done cheaper.

Heh...I bought my truck 4 years ago at 34k miles. I guess the dealer replaced the pads. But the point was that I finally changed my pads at 116k miles. It was incredible!!!

It depends. If the pads had no material, then the rotors are beat for a reason. 30k isn't unreasonable for brakes. Especially if the pads are soft. Having rotors turned should be under 15 for the pair.

I dont think he had put 30thou on the truck but the truck may have reached 30. The question is how many miles he has gone since he bought it? Now if I had bought the truck six months ago and it now needs rotor and brakes done then I am left to think that there is something wrong with this vehicle.

Come on Rikk03 tell us ho many miles you have put on the truck?

Whats it matter how many miles he put on it? Maybe the previous owner beat on the truck, and wore the brakes out fast. Maybe they were on thier last few 1/16 of an ich of material when he purchased it. If there was something even remotely wrong, Ford would have included it in thier estimate. Dealers aren't know for lowballing repairs.

Garth said:
I dont think he had put 30thou on the truck but the truck may have reached 30. The question is how many miles he has gone since he bought it? Now if I had bought the truck six months ago and it now needs rotor and brakes done then I am left to think that there is something wrong with this vehicle.

Come on Rikk03 tell us ho many miles you have put on the truck?

The amount of miles he put on the truck are irrelevant. Assuming the brakes are original 30k miles isnt unreasonable. If you have aggressive driving habits your brakes will wear out fast. When they inspected the truck the dealer may have decided the condition of the brakes at the time met their standards. Not for nothin there isnt much to go wrong in the brake system. The pads could be dragging on the rotors but that's about it. And a reputable shop would be able to diagnose that pretty easily.

It does matter how many miles he drove and with warranty plus extended, he should have parts on his vehicle that will last more than six months.

He did not buy an old truck from you where he has to check everything and if he missed something after thirty days its his problem.

They are wear and tear parts on s USED vehicle. No dice.

I am not even talking about the pads here. I am up against they additional cost that they want to throw at him.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had a 98 windstar that ate pads for breakfast, lunch, dinner and every other time. Ford did not want to acknowledge the problem and I bet that, that was the reason why the windstar drop out of the minivan race.

Back