• Register Today It's free!

help painting stock rims black

bsquared25

Reaction score
City, State
franklin, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 eddie bauer edition
ive gotta 02 eddie bauer with the stock alloy rims on it, and im plannin to paint em black what would yall recommend to use and if yall have done it can yall write me up a step by step

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive gotta 02 eddie bauer with the stock alloy rims on it, and im plannin to paint em black what would yall recommend to use and if yall have done it can yall write me up a step by step

Just go to auto parts store and get the specific wheel paint... Prep by cleaning rims and tape tire.. then paint them
There are also directions on the paint...Refer to these for dry times/recoat time..

Just make sure its WHEEL PAINT...
post up pics when done

do a search there are a bunch of threads of people doing this. Prep is the key and most important step.

do a search there are a bunch of threads of people doing this. Prep is the key and most important step.

Agreed, a job worth doing is worth doing right..
If you don't take your time it will show, set a weekend(with curing) aside to do it and you will be much happier with the results

I've heard that a deck of cards works just as good as tape to mask off the tire

Tape is a pain the ass! Use the deck of cards for sure I just painted mine..sand them down alittle bit clean the hell out of them, prime them let it cure and the throw some layers of paint on there. And to be honest don't use clear coat.

And to be honest don't use clear coat.

I ended up doing two coats of satin black , two coats of gloss black, two coats of uv resistant clear coat. Then i didn't like how it looked so I finished with one more coat of gloss black...

its been 2 years and theve been through 2 winters and they still clean up real nice and dont show any signs of chips or fading.

Tape is a pain the ass! Use the deck of cards for sure I just painted mine..sand them down alittle bit clean the hell out of them, prime them let it cure and the throw some layers of paint on there. And to be honest don't use clear coat.

yall mind showin me some pics of what yalls look like

115276817.jpg

115279316.jpg

115279861.jpg

Picture001-3.jpg

i ended up painting them red right after this picture ...i painted them back to black casue it looked like the bat mobile

A tip:

After cleaning and prepping the wheel. Let all the air out. Then use standard size index cards in between the rim and tire. With all the air out the index cards will stand up better and you will get the very edge of the rim painted a lot better.

Back