Help Please! Acceleration deadzone until kickdown | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Please! Acceleration deadzone until kickdown

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
My 94 Explorer runs very normally day in and day out. However, when I drive it for a couple of hours on the interstate basically non-stop at 70-80 MPH it develops a problem. The check engine light will randomly illuminate and when I try to accelerate nothing happens until the pedal hits the point that kick down occurs. Then it will pick up speed.
If I pull of the road and sit still with foot on the brake it begins to surge, for lack of better way to put it. If I let it sit for a bit, maybe 10-15 minutes there is no more surging and it seems to accelerate close to normal again all the way through the pedal position range. Problem reoccurs after driving on for about 15-30 minutes.
Once home and it cools all the way down it acts completely normal again.

Anybody got any ideas? (It got new plugs, wires and a TPS late in the summer)

take a close look at your temp. & make sure it isnt getting a little hot . If you could install a mechanical guage to give you a true reading would be the best . maybe put some heat protective wrap on the 2 fuel lines . Hope this helps you some :salute: If not holler at us & we will do our best to help you

Back