4r55e 2nd to 1st kickdown not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4r55e 2nd to 1st kickdown not working

Adams95

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer Sport
Hey guys I have recently became the proud owner of a '95 explorer, 4.0 OHV 215,000 miles, 4r55e with a little less than 100k miles on the rebuild. If you've seen me in the 95-01 stock forum you'll know I've done a lot of work recently to the truck...the only parts you guys need to know this...TPS was replaced a week or so ago, as of 2 days ago I went to service the trans and found the dreaded Strawberry Milkshake in the trans pan. I immediately changed the radiator, flushed trans and engine, and all appears to be fine...

The trans is now shifting smoother then ever, as well as a VERY happy engine. However one issue that was around before I changed the radiator was this:
No matter how far you press the throttle the trans will not kickdown from 2nd gear to 1st, this can't be right? It also seems I have to press the throttle about 3/4 of the way down to kickdown from OD to 4th on the freeway, not sure if this is correct or not.

I've only owned the truck for a month, been driving it daily for about 2 weeks (fuel pump issue), the previous owner is a good friend of mine, and I know the history of the truck very well. I suspect the Strawberry Milkshake issue could've been happening for 4 months or so.

Do you think its possible I need to adjust the TPS? I don't believe any permanent damage was done to the trans with the atf/coolant mix that happend, but I guess it's always a possibility...
What do you guys think?

Back