*Help please* Check engine comes on when warmed up + gets louder/rumbly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

*Help please* Check engine comes on when warmed up + gets louder/rumbly

nbixr

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Hi all,

I searched the forums but haven't found a problem described quite like what I have. I have a '94 XLT, all stock, 90k miles (and original owner!).

It starts up nice, and drives and sounds fine for a couple miles, while cold. Then, usually after I've pushed it for a bit (like after 1-2 min on the freeway), the engine tone changes to a louder, lower, rumbly sound. It's kind of similar, but much less pronounced, to the change in tone on a riding lawnmower when you engage the blades. About 10-30 seconds after this the check engine light comes on. I still have decent power while driving. If I let off the gas for a bit and just cruise gently at ~55mph, the light goes off after a couple minutes, but the sound usually stays (or rather, reappears as soon as I push down the gas pedal some more, though without the gas pedal down at all, it's quiet and normal sounding). The light comes back on if I push the engine harder again. I do feel like my gas mileage is awful though. Like, a 25mile ride around town sucks down 1/4 tank.

I suspect something with air/vacuum/exhaust leakage or bad sensor. I believe the exhaust manifold was replaced ~2 years ago, since it had rusted through (now that was a loud engine!). This symptom is similar, but much less pronounced.

Any ideas? An exhaust manifold gasket would usually show its symptoms when cold, and go away when warmed (expanded), and this is the opposite.

I haven't gotten a code read yet. I should try to find an auto parts store that might read it for me. I predict it'll indicate running lean, if nothing else...

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I had to take a total shot in the dark, I would say DPFE, or MAF. That said, do the paper clip method mentioned above and get the codes.

If I had to take a total shot in the dark, I would say DPFE, or MAF. That said, do the paper clip method mentioned above and get the codes.

Yep, intermittent CEL is always DPFE, the funny sound is the EGR going wide open because of the faulty DPFE sensor.

You'll get codes 332, 335 & 336

Thanks for the advice. I'll try getting the codes and see what comes up...

Back