Help!!! plug swap problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!!! plug swap problems

The sucking noise is your problem! Your losing vacuum!

If you hear a sucking noise that is where the vacuum is leaking from.

Track it down and reconnect the hose or replace it if it is cracked. The tree has a couple of extra ports you will want a plug on 1 or 2 of them. The leak could also be caused by a loose hose that has fallen off. You will want to look around the engine compartment to find the source of the SUCKING Sound and reconnect the hose in question.

Hope this helps? :)

You can do it!

:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks mawrazen, I'm going back down now to have another look, I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

I would say look towards the back of the engine, where you had to route the wires, I know there's a ton of lines back there.

if all else fails, take a can of starting fluid, carb cleaner, or propane(?) and give it quick shots here and there while it's running (best done to a cold motor). If the engine changes RPM's quickly, you're in the right area. Keep the stuff as far away from hot manifolds as practical.

I changed my wires yesterday and had the same issue. A sucking sound under the hood running rough then died. I knocked off a vacuum line when installing the new wires. Reinstalled it and all is fine now!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your help, it turned out to be two things in the end:

1. The coil pack had gone (for some reason after I changed the plugs/wires) and:

2. The No.1 cylinder did not like the Autolite plug and had a slight misfire which was cured as soon as it was replaced with a motorcraft plug.

Is there any reason why changing plugs and wires would affect the coil?

Thanks again everyone.

Doubtful.

Ditto. Probably just mere coincidence. The coils are just a simple pair of windings that generate a magnetic field when they're on, and let that magnetic field collapse when they're turned off. The only thing that can really affect them is an open wire somewhere in a winding.

-Joe

Back