• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! starter stays on.

1991fordexploder

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT stock
Sometimes when I start my engine my starter stays turned on so I turn the key off and it stays on trying. to start but never firing, until I pull the battery cable off.
Has this ever happened to anyone before and what caused it? I have a brand new heavy duty starter solenoid on it right now.

Any answers would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a bad starter relay.

You mean the solenoid on the passenger side fender?

yea because thats the only way power gets to your starter

Well.... that is a relay on the fender. The solenoid is the small round cylinder on the starter.

Even though its brand new?

Very true because I just replaced both front calipers rotors and pads and I have a brake fluid leak on my right front caliper.

I had an issue with my solenoid mounted on the fender. Sometimes my Ex wouldn't turn over to start. Full power, just no start. Popped the hood, smacked the solenoid with my pocket knife, tried starting it again, fired right up. Went and bought a new solenoid and that was that.

If that relay is brand new, take your starter off and have your starter solenoid tested. (I mean the small cylinder that is attached directly to your starter)

I have had 2 Ford vehicles do this and it was the starter both times.

The mechanical switch ( in the cylinder mentioned above) was sticky. Attempts to fix it went south.

Back