(HELP) Still having problems in need of some good answers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

(HELP) Still having problems in need of some good answers

Reaction score
City, State
Kearny New jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xlt 4.0
Hello Everyone who is reading this,
My situation started about 6 months ago with a sensor code 193 the high pressure sensor going bad that wasn't much a problem the truck would work great going back and forth to work but on the weekends going around town was a another story turn it off it wouldn't start and had to wait for it to get cold before it would start again. I Replaced the sensor with a few problems that I brought up here on other posts. Did all the checking I could with my multi-meter looked for shorts found none check the coil it works put in a friends truck, checked the crankshaft sensor and it's showing a signal did the oxymoron stuff like checking all the fuses even reset the gas switch shutoff on the passenger side. Had some what of a friend that owed me a favor and had him come and run a scan on my truck to find out what the heck is going on with it! Only one code came up that was a for my PATS system not seeing my key? Did a search on this problem can't beleave all the fake fixes there are for this problem the only one I'm trying is removing both battery cables from the battery for two days to reset the pats computer can't hurt lol! My friend doesn't work on american car so his scanner doesn't have the app for ford.
My question is, both keys I have for my truck worked before replacing the high pressure sensor do I have to buy a PATS computer or can I have the keys re-flashed so PATS recognizes my keys again? Or is there an easier way to do this on my own? It's been over a month with out a car and it driving crazy with one problem after another hoping i'm near the end. Need my my truck I think the owner is getting tired of driving me in to work! The bad part is I'm the Maintenance Supervisor and I can't fix my own car plus I'm getting tired of the dig's from him too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

William, before you spend all kind of money, download forscan and buy a module that is compatible with the software. Forscan software is free and it will read and program most of the computer system functions. You will not have to bother your friend anymore because you will have your own scanner. Read this guide: Solved - PATS key sucsess! Thanks Forscan

Good luck, bizzs

William, before you spend all kind of money, download forscan and buy a module that is compatible with the software. Forscan software is free and it will read and program most of the computer system functions. You will not have to bother your friend anymore because you will have your own scanner. Read this guide: Solved - PATS key sucsess! Thanks Forscan

Good luck, bizzs

Thank you Bizzs,
Wondering with this software will I be able to remove the stored key codes and reset my keys so the PATS recognize my keys again? Went looking for the app in the IPhone store and what I found was Forscan lite for my phone do you know if this app will do the same functions as the one for the (Windows) laptop? I don't own a laptop but after all this fun with my truck it looks like a good Idea. Did get one of those WiFi and Bluetooth OBD2 scanners the app said it should work with it or should I get the direct cable is this better to use? Going to download this app and going to give it a try for $5 bucks can't be that much of a lost LOL. If anyone else has any other thoughts on my predicament I am always open for suggestions.

Thank you Bizzs,
Wondering with this software will I be able to remove the stored key codes and reset my keys so the PATS recognize my keys again? Went looking for the app in the IPhone store and what I found was Forscan lite for my phone do you know if this app will do the same functions as the one for the (Windows) laptop? I don't own a laptop but after all this fun with my truck it looks like a good Idea. Did get one of those WiFi and Bluetooth OBD2 scanners the app said it should work with it or should I get the direct cable is this better to use? Going to download this app and going to give it a try for $5 bucks can't be that much of a lost LOL. If anyone else has any other thoughts on my predicament I am always open for suggestions.
There is no connection between DTC P0193 "Fuel Rail Pressure and Temperature Sensor" code or sensor failure and the PATS system.

If you are really experiencing a PATS problem with the keys not being usable, the symptom is fast-flashing of the PATS light below the windshield, as soon as the key is turned ON. At that point, the engine will not crank using that key. imp

Hello Everyone,
I would like to thank everyone for all the helpful info I received. This on going problem with my truck was driving me crazy!!! The few things I did learn with this truck, is that Ford engineers didn't design this vehicle to be user friendly at all. The other was to ask so called friends to give you a hand in finding the problem that was so much fun! "NOT" All he was looking for was to tow my truck and have him fix it and charge me an arm and a leg to do it and lie to me on what the problem was! Last weekend I saw my friends at a party that sold me the truck and he asked how it was doing? We ended talking about it and I found that it had problems every six to eight months for stupid stuff right after it was serviced at the dealership." Funny things that make you think?" Then that Monday I did a service call in PA and knew the supervisor worked for ford before working there, I asked if he knew anything about the PATS system to make it short there was nothing wrong with it! Here are a few things I found in the past the fuel filter inlet pipe bent restricting the flow, Two of the plugs unlocked on the the firewall, The High pressure sensor on the fuel rail having physical damage to it "pry marks to the seam on it", The coil pack having a bad connection that might have been me checking it was an easy fix. And the last one so far was someone took a file to the crankshaft sensor exposing it to elements. What a fun two months on getting it up and running again.
Again I would like to thank everyone that helped me in getting this problem rectified it was greatly appreciated.
Morgan

Back