Help! Stuck at work, 120m from home! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Stuck at work, 120m from home!

ssandecki

Reaction score
Hello,

Today is a very bad day for me, I'm 120 miles from my house in the middle of no where and my 2001 Ford Explorer XLT is being very very naughty :mad:

My car will not stay started, I can get it going, but it instantly dies. If I give it gas I can keep it going, once I remove my foot from the pedal, it dies.

I had this problem a month or so ago, but it started normally, i went to the gas station and put in some fuel injection cleaner and haven't had problems since.

My car is at 52,000 miles, I just bought it 6 months ago from carmax with 41,000, my warranty is up.

Any ideas? If you need more information let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree however you may be able to clean it to get home but i would buy a new one ........ its not worth triing to fix or clean the old one.......If you know what it looks like .... while someone is in the car keeping it running ...hit the IAC modual with a screwdriver handle or something similar........if it works you wil be able to relase the throttle and it will run......try this a few times

where do you live?

Depending on your motor model, I think it's either on top or on the side of your intake manifold. If you follow the link in my above post, it will give you examples of what to do and look for.

Ok, I'm going to take a look now and see if I can find it, would a picture of my motor help?

Clean it with any type of electronics cleaner. If it still doesn't work then its bad.

Ok, cleaned it up nice, actually I could not move the part on the spring, after a few seconds of cleaning, it popped out! I'm letting it air dry now.

One problem, I looked at another guide that said use Carb Cleaner, which i used. Will this be a problem?

that will be fine :thumbsup:

if it wasnt moving when you first looked at it then you found the problem and fixed it, good job :D

now when you get home replace it, they are only 30bucks.

You may also want to look into doing a seafoam treatment to clean the upper intake. Since the IAC was clogged more than likely you've got carbon in the rest of the upper intake.

Where is "the middle of no where?"

I think it's right between somewhere and anywhere, Those are all nice places, but you have to be careful not to head south to underwear, I hear it's a smelly place :D

Chicago, IL... Where is the IAC located? I have plenty of basic tools to work with here.

dang. if it was muchh closer i would help you out.

Back