• Register Today It's free!

help w/ shackles and hitch

snowscratcher

Reaction score
City, State
Seymour, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport
I am wanting to get some shackles for my 2000 explorer sport but i noticed today while rotating my tires that the stock shackle is really close to my u-haul hitch. i was just wondering if any of you guys have this same situation and if by installing new shackles the hitch would hinder the movement of them. i just need to know if there will be any problems. here are some pics of what i am talking about. thanks

shackles001.jpg

shackles002.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard that some guys have had that same problem. I think someone said they just notched the hitch and it worked fine. A pain in the ass, but you could also try a different hitch as some don't have this problem at all. I'm not sure of what brand either.

I'd try a search on it and see what you come up with.

I have warrior shackles and a trailer hitch under my 1999 4dr X it was a tight fit but it clears ok can't remember what brand my hitch is tho cause i bought it used from another member on here. i am thinking it's a Reese hitch I'll try to get a pic later and post it here.

I tossed mine 'cause I was too lazy to refab something after the body lift (and bumper mount frame lift). Then again I don't have anything to tow with my X.

Back