Transmission Solenoid replacement?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Solenoid replacement??

shag5150

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4WD
Hey guys.....i have an 02 Explorer XLT and the other day the o/d light started flashing and it has a really hard shift into 3rd. the dealership says that the tranny solenoid pack needs to be replaced. it appears that the pack contains several solenoids......can just one case the problem and just one be replaced or does the entire pack need to be replaced? thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are best off replacing the pack. It is not too difficult to do yourself. I have a spare sitting around I can sell you for less than anywhere online, just shoot me a PM.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hey guys.....i have an 02 Explorer XLT and the other day the o/d light started flashing and it has a really hard shift into 3rd. the dealership says that the tranny solenoid pack needs to be replaced. it appears that the pack contains several solenoids......can just one case the problem and just one be replaced or does the entire pack need to be replaced? thanks!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have an 05 Explorer and recently had a tranny replaced. My transmission had issues in the "Solenoid Package" as well, and I did some online research on them. The picture I saw of one had all the solenoids lined up in a row and it came as a complete package. I spoke to a tranny shop guy different from the one who did my rebuilt transmission, he told me a solenoid package unit would cost me $179.00(part only) for a new one from him, if he was to rebuild a tranmission for me and it needed a new solenoid pack installed. I'm sure you could buy one cheaper if you purchased it from a retailer other than a tranny shop. From what I've learned recently, if a solenoid package goes bad, it usually contaminates the fluid in the torque converter. At the very least you should have the tranny fluid completely flushed out of the transmission/torque converter, along with a new filter and new solenoid package installed, probably wouldn't hurt.
FYI, I learned this the hard way trust me, some transmission shops electrically test and re-use "used" solenoid packs they removed from junk transmissions they got from other customers vehicles in the rebuilt transmissions they sell you without ever telling you this. Only some parts on a rebuilt transmission are "new parts". If a used solenoid pack passes the electrical test, they'll re-use it even though they don't know for sure how many miles it has on it or how old it is. Some tranny shops do this to increase profits on a rebuilt transmission sale.

Just curious, how does the solenoid package going bad contaminate the fluid in the torque converter? Contaminate it with metal? Just wondering... I may have this problem.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Just curious, how does the solenoid package going bad contaminate the fluid in the torque converter? Contaminate it with metal? Just wondering... I may have this problem.>>>>>>>>>>>>

The guy at the transmission shop that gave me that price for the solenoid package I mentioned in my previous post, told me that when a solenoid package shorts out or frys, it will most likely contaminate the torque converter. From what I've read online about these computer controlled automatic transmissions is that when a solenoid package goes bad, it gets very hot inside the transmission and plastic and rubber parts therein, begin to melt and the torque converter is kind of the dumping ground/junk yard for anything in there that has failed or fallen apart due to wearing out/age. Kind of collects there. This is just what I was told by a transmission repair shop and what I read about computer controlled automatic transmissions online. I read up about these types of transmissions at this web site, www.aa1car.com. I found this web site by just typing "computer controlled automatic transmissions" into my Google search bar. This web site was quite informative even showing you pictures on the inner parts and workings of the transmission. Good luck with your vehicle.

Anybody know of a write up for replacing the solenoid pack?

>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>

Josh,

I can't tell you how to remove and replace a transmission solenoid package but I know from just having a rebuilt transmission installed in my 05 Explorer, that a new solenoid package would need to have it's RPM shift points adjusted thru the computer after install. The tranny shop test drove it after the install and made adjustments from there. As far as the cost of a solenoid package, one shop quoted me a retail price of $179.00 if I needed a new solenoid package installed into a newly rebuilt transmission. Many tranny shops will reuse old, used solenoid packages they've pulled out of other similar transmissions as long as they pass an electrical test and install them into newly rebuilt trasnmissions. Hope this info helps you in some way.

Here you go.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164055

It's nice and easy really, if you can change the filter you can change the pack. My O/D light was flashing at about 110k, changed pack and fluid and has been fine since.

I have done 3 fluid changes in the last 100k or so IMO if you change your fluid every 30k or so the transmission seems to last, regardless of what Ford says.

I can't tell you how to remove and replace a transmission solenoid package but I know from just having a rebuilt transmission installed in my 05 Explorer, that a new solenoid package would need to have it's RPM shift points adjusted thru the computer after install.

I have never heard such a thing, and do not believe it to be true.

I have never heard such a thing, and do not believe it to be true.

You are absolutely right; that's bullsh!t!. The solenoids are computer OUTPUTS which do no "thinking" of their own. imp

Hunks of Solenoid......

Just curious, how does the solenoid package going bad contaminate the fluid in the torque converter? Contaminate it with metal? Just wondering... I may have this problem.

One of my 2004's solenoids failed... Torque Converter Clutch Sol.....I pulled out the module, off the valve body, and so nothing amiss. On a hunch, I then pulled out the valve body itself, and sitting in a neat little pile on top, was little bits of broken-up pieces of what appeared to be bronze.

Someone posted that the solenoid plungers have bronze guides which crumble.....I cleaned the valve body, reinstalled it and a new solenoid module, replaced filter, filled with new fluid. It's been working OK now for 10,000 miles or so. Given parts generating contaminants, if of a large nature, depending on their source, most do not get carried in the fluid flow to the converter, but fall down into the pan, and are excluded from flow by the filter. In my case, NO debris was found in the pan, just on top of the valve body. imp

I generally take mine to Ford and let them tell what is wrong. Most of the time they are pretty honest. They want and an arm and leg to fix anything, so I do it myself. They wanted $1300 to put a new pack in. I can buy it online for next to nothing and it seems like a pretty easy install. They did say that once you put a new on it they would have to flash the ECM. I don't know if that's because it has to be done or there is a new update that I don't have in mine.

Thanks for the link!

>>>>>>>>>>You are absolutely right; that's bullsh!t!.>>>>>>>

IMP,

first off, relax!

>>>>>>>>>>>The solenoids are computer OUTPUTS which do no "thinking" of their own. <<<<<<<<<<<<<

The "solenoids" are valves that open and close on signals from the computer, call them outputs if you want. As I stated on my earlier post, the shift points for the solenoid package would need to be adjusted "thru the computer". I never claimed the solenoid package thinks for itself.

Replacing the pack does NOT require a reprogram. I am sure ford will do one for you though if you want but it is not needed.

>>>>>>>>
tower;Replacing the pack does NOT require a reprogram. I am sure ford will do one for you though if you want but it is not needed.[/QUOTE said:
>>>>>>>>>>>>

In my earlier post, I was quoting what the transmission shop told me they had to do after installing my rebuilt transmission.

That would be the same shop that reuses old solenoid blocks in there rebuilds?

I am not quoting anyone, I have first hand experience from doing the work myself.

If you want the software update fine but you do NOT need it.

>>>>>>>>>>You are absolutely right; that's bullsh!t!.>>>>>>>

IMP,

first off, relax!

>>>>>>>>>>>The solenoids are computer OUTPUTS which do no "thinking" of their own. <<<<<<<<<<<<<

The "solenoids" are valves that open and close on signals from the computer, call them outputs if you want. As I stated on my earlier post, the shift points for the solenoid package would need to be adjusted "thru the computer". I never claimed the solenoid package thinks for itself.

Sorry if I use "old thinking"; it's 'cause I'm old! I like to see the computer simply as a "decision box" which repeatedly scans a "program", over and over, very fast, and as it does so, it takes info. from "inputs" (sensors & the like), then based on what it's program tells it to do with those inputs, it lights up outputs-- solenoids, fuel pumps & injectors, EGR valves, interior lights, etc.

So, I called solenoids "outputs", since their activities are commanded by the computer. imp

That would be the same shop that reuses old solenoid blocks in there rebuilds?>>>>>>>>>>

Right, and I'll bet you find most tranny shops do re-use used or old solenoid packs they've taken out of other trannys in the rebuilt transmissions they sell, as long as they pass an electrical test and function properly. They do this to increase their profit margins on the rebuilt trannys they sell. In no way am I justifying their practice in doing things this way, and this transmission shop I am referring to that does this, is a well known Nationally Chained transmission shop with locations all across America.

>>>>>>>>>>>I am not quoting anyone, I have first hand experience from doing the work myself.>>>>>

Great for you and I never questioned your knowledge or abilities did I?

>>>>>>>>>>If you want the software update fine but you do NOT need it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wouldn't you want to know if the new solenoid package you installed in your garage or driveway is operating correctly by having it checked out diagnostically and test driven along with adjusting the shift points (if need be) by a professional? The transmission shop owner stated they needed to make adjustments to the shift points after doing a diagnostic test drive. If you yourself have the diagnostic equipment and ability to do all that then good for you, the average car owner knows very little about transmissions, self included. Most general car repair shops won't even touch a transmission issue or job and they send you to a transmission shop that specializes in them due to the complicated nature of them.

I would think it needed to be checked on the computer. It makes sense what you are saying. I do trust my local ford dealer (I know, shocking) and they told me it needed to be done.

Just like when I did my auto to 5 speed swap years ago. Sure you can run a 5 speed on an auto ECM, but it's not going to work just right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You guys are funny. Guess my tranny has not been running perfect for the past 100k+ or so. I should have gone to that shop that reuses parts from other transmissions, very professional.

For the last time you do not need a reprogram, if you want one great but it is not needed.

Have fun with what ever you do.

Back