Transmission Solenoid replacement?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Solenoid replacement??

Since you are the self proclaimed expert, we should all follow these instructions. I do have a question. If we follow this and it fails, will you vouch for the repairs? Just saying because it seems as though you are getting pissy because we are all discussing it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I seem to recall a message in the owners manual for my '01 SportTrak regarding the transmission "relearning" shift points after the battery is disconnected and adjusting those shift points based upon driving habits.

Anyone have ideas on reverse gear not engaging completely on said '01 ST?

>>>>>>>>>
You guys are funny. Guess my tranny has not been running perfect for the past 100k+ or so.>>>>>>>>>>

How do you know what "running perfect" is since you never had it checked out by a qualified tranny tech or had proper diagnostics done? You know, even a Squirrel gets lucky every now and then and finds a nut so maybe you got lucky!

>>>>>>>>I should have gone to that shop that reuses parts from other transmissions, very professional.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I found that info out the hard way, after the fact, but I didn't pay a dime of my money for my rebuilt transmission, since I put the screws to the dealership that sold me my Explorer and threatened to sue them in court using the Lemon Law against them and they paid for it. How I found out about this tranny shop that re-uses used solenoid packages was by calling another privately owned smaller tranny shop owner who once worked for this nationally franchised shop when he was a young kid and he told me how they operate there. If I told you this company's name, I'm sure you have heard of them because they are nation wide. This specific shop has been in business over 30 years at the same loaction. FYI, all new and used car lots do business with high volume transmission shops like this when they need repairs on the vehicles they are selling on their lots. I've heard this from several repair shops and people I know who work at dealerships. They beg these shops to repair the vehicle as cheap as possible just to get the vehicles running down the road and off of their lots. The dealerships don't care how long the repair lasts the customer. So far, my rebuilt tranny from this place is running good. Just as a back up plan, I took my truck into two different transmission shops after the install and had them do a diagnostic test on it and check it out, they both said it appears to be working good.

>>>>>>>>>>>For the last time you do not need a reprogram, if you want one great but it is not needed.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

For the second and last time, I was quoting the transmission shop owner. He told me they had to adjust the shift points after installing the rebuilt transmission. He told me if I didn't like the way it was shifting (like at specific RPM's etc), then to bring it back in and they would re-adjust the shift points again. So far, I've had no reasons to do this. It's probably better you (but not you) have a diagnostic done on it just to be sure you know where you stand with it.

>>>>>Have fun with what ever you do.>>>>>>>>>>

I usually do, and you too! Just don't take things so seriously simply because you disagree with someone else's advice in here. All of us can only give advice based upon our own experiences with our vehicles and I appreciated the info you gave me a few weeks ago on one of my posts in here.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
I seem to recall a message in the owners manual for my '01 SportTrak regarding the transmission "relearning" shift points after the battery is disconnected and adjusting those shift points based upon driving habits.>>>>>>>>>>>>

I also read online while researching transmission stuff, that the computer learns and adjusts the engine and transmission operation based upon driving habits. It said it learns this over time. I did not see anything mentioned that it can adjust the shift points specifically, but that doesn't mean that it can't. I'm just saying I didn't see that mentioned at the web site I was at.

>>>>>>Anyone have ideas on reverse gear not engaging completely on said '01 ST?
>>>>>>>>>>>

Can't help you here, but I remember seeing other posts in here of people complaining about the loss of reverse gear. Maybe type it into the search box at the top of your screen and see what comes up.

Since you are the self proclaimed expert, we should all follow these instructions. I do have a question. If we follow this and it fails, will you vouch for the repairs? Just saying because it seems as though you are getting pissy because we are all discussing it.

Not pissy in fact it is you that is acting very immature, you have it stuck in your head that what the dealer/shop told you has to be 100% correct. If you do a search you will see this has been discussed many many times end result you do not need a reflash. If you want one great there is in-fact an updated program that addresses many thing including shifting (also idle and a few other things) many like it.

If you just change out the pack it will shift like it did before as you are replacing like for like, if the computer knew when to tell the solenoid to activate before what makes you thing it wont now?

As for your smart ass remark about me vouching for the repairs I will say that if that what was wrong and you replace it correctly if will work but be there are other things that fail in the tranny. For all I know your servos are bad (also very common).

You can do what you want but if anyone wants to know the answer you do not need a re-flash a simple search in the tranny section will bring up hundreds of threads confirming this.

Fords' instrutions

Solenoid Body Assembly

Removal
1. NOTE: When the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms can occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The customer needs to be notified that they may experience slightly different upshifts (either soft or firm) and this is a temporary condition and will eventually return to normal operating condition. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
2. Raise and support the vehicle.

3. Remove the drain plug and drain the fluid.

4. If equipped, remove the converter housing access plug.

5. If equipped, remove the converter drain plug and discard.

6. Remove the shift cable and bracket.

7. NOTE: Clean the area around connector to prevent contamination of the solenoid body connector. Disconnect the solenoid body harness connector.

8. NOTE: The transmission fluid pan gasket is reusable, clean and inspect for damage. If not damaged, the gasket should be reused. Remove the 16 transmission fluid pan screws, fluid pan, and gasket.

9. Remove the transmission fluid filter.

10. Remove the solenoid body.
Installation

1. Install new O-ring seals on the solenoid body connector. Lubricate the O-ring seals with clean automatic transmission fluid.

2. CAUTION: Inspect the transmission case bore to make sure it is free of foreign material and not damaged. If damaged, a transmission leak may occur. Install the solenoid body. Tighten the bolts in sequence shown.

3. CAUTION: Lubricate the fluid filter seals with clean automatic transmission fluid or they may be damaged. NOTE: Make sure that the fluid filter seals are correctly seated on the filter. Lubricate the seals and install the transmission fluid filter.

4. NOTE: The transmission fluid pan gasket is reusable, clean and inspect for damage, if not damaged, the gasket should be reused. Install the transmission fluid pan and gasket and loosely install the screws.

5. Tighten the screws in a crisscross sequence.

6. NOTE: A new converter drain plug must be used to prevent leakage. If removed, install a new converter drain plug.

7. If removed, install the converter housing access plug.

8. CAUTION: Damage will occur to the solenoid body assembly if the screw is tightened above the specification. NOTE: Always install new O-ring seals on vehicle harness connector. NOTE: Clean the area around connector to prevent contamination of the solenoid body connector. NOTE: Use petroleum jelly to lubricate the O-ring seals to aid in the installation process. Install and lubricate new O-ring seals on the transmission connector and connect the connector.

9. Install the shift cable and bracket.
10. Adjust the shift cable.
11. Install the exhaust.
12. Fill the transmission.
13. Lower the vehicle.
14. NOTE: When the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms can occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The customer needs to be notified that they may experience slightly different upshifts (either soft or firm) and this is a temporary condition and will eventually return to normal operating condition. Connect the battery ground cable.

Sorry pics did not show up if someone wants them PM me.

I am out.

For the second and last time, I was quoting the transmission shop owner. He told me they had to adjust the shift points after installing the rebuilt transmission. He told me if I didn't like the way it was shifting (like at specific RPM's etc), then to bring it back in and they would re-adjust the shift points again.

Ask them how they are adjusting the shift points. You have to custom tune the PCM to change the shift points, not just "update" the software on it. I have a hard time believing that any shop will just tweak the transmission settings per request or even have the capabilities to do so.

I am going to back tower up on this; there is nothing additional that needs done when a solenoid block is replaced.

sometimes hard shifts into reverse

Just bought an 05 explorer xlt from a private party (185k miles) and after I got home noticed a hard shift into reverse, sometimes. It shifts fine when driving. Been reading many posts and seems to narrow down to solenoid problem. I am going to try changing filter and fluid first. Where can I get the tubing kit to replace fluid. Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The Ford factory service manual does not call for any "adjustments" after a new pack is installed.

I had the Ford dealer install my new pack, flush the system and upgrade the PCM. Called back and said it won't go into gear now. I picked it up and took it to a good tranny mechanic in my area and he said it needed a complete over haul. Our feelings are that the new pack made other things go bad. $500 at Ford and $2200 for tranny rebuild.

I had the Ford dealer install my new pack, flush the system and upgrade the PCM. Called back and said it won't go into gear now. I picked it up and took it to a good tranny mechanic in my area and he said it needed a complete over haul. Our feelings are that the new pack made other things go bad. $500 at Ford and $2200 for tranny rebuild.

It is not likely that the new solenoid block trashed your transmission...and to be honest, you probably did not need a new transmission. If it was not going into gear, the first thing to check is fluid level.

Yeah we did. They had just performed a flush and it was full. The tranny shop ran the computer on it and it showed the pack (new one) as being bad and some other stuff that I don't remember. He told me a few things that were bad when he got into and decided that it neede rebuilt. A lot of things he told me I have read in this thread. It may not have been the cause, but it seems like it like a good reason since the pressures were not where they needed to be.

The tranny shop ran the computer on it and it showed the pack (new one) as being bad and some other stuff that I don't remember. .
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just for your future knowledge when you need a rebuilt tranny for one of your vehicles, the first tranny shop that installed your (new) solenoid package that turned out to be be bad, most likely sold you a used solenoid package they scrapped from another similar tranny in their shop and claimed and sold it to you as new, price and all. You, the customer, would never know the difference. All they would have done to the used S. pack, was perform an electrical test on it and if it passes, they re-sell them or use them in tranny rebuilds they do to increase their profits, rather than buy a new one from the manufacturers they deal with. I was told this by a tranny shop owner I spoke to, but never had work done by him. Next time you need tranny work done, find out what tranny parts going into the rebuild will be brand new and what parts will be re-used and get it in writing on a receipt and with a warranty. CYA! Cover Your A$$!

I agree, however I bought this part and brought it in with me. But you are right.

multiple solenoid codes, hard shifting

Hi - new to site and to thread.
98 Ranger supercab 4.0L 4wd auto trans, 139K total miles, 10k on this engine. Ran fine until a few weeks ago, then intermittent starting trouble (like bad fuel pump).
After troubleshooting to find starting problem, truck started, but then runs only in 2nd and 3rd, very hard "slams" into reverse. Cannot manually shift into 1st, no OD shift (OD dash light comes on fine, no check engine light)
Parts store put their code reader on and finds multiple codes for shift solenoids, heater code, and camshaft sensor code.
I read all your previous posts about solenoid packs, but man, oh man, where do I start?

Hi - new to site and to thread.
98 Ranger supercab 4.0L 4wd auto trans, 139K total miles, 10k on this engine. Ran fine until a few weeks ago, then intermittent starting trouble (like bad fuel pump).
After troubleshooting to find starting problem, truck started, but then runs only in 2nd and 3rd, very hard "slams" into reverse. Cannot manually shift into 1st, no OD shift (OD dash light comes on fine, no check engine light)
Parts store put their code reader on and finds multiple codes for shift solenoids, heater code, and camshaft sensor code.
I read all your previous posts about solenoid packs, but man, oh man, where do I start?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Welcome to the site, but you posted this in the wrong section. You want the Ford Ranger section and this is the Ford Explorer/Mountaineer section. Copy and paste it into that section for help from other Ranger owners. Also post in the section for your year vehicle or model generation number.

Just bought an 05 explorer xlt from a private party (185k miles) and after I got home noticed a hard shift into reverse, sometimes. It shifts fine when driving. Been reading many posts and seems to narrow down to solenoid problem. I am going to try changing filter and fluid first. Where can I get the tubing kit to replace fluid. Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Just replaced filter and fluid. It was pretty easy after reading posts on how. Found the fluid pump/tubing kit at local parts store (marine appplication). At first I thought I had solved the problem and it shifted fine but after running a little while longer I still have the hard delayed shifts into reverse but still not all the time. Bad solenoid? Anybody have any ideas before I sink more money into her?

Just replaced filter and fluid. It was pretty easy after reading posts on how. Found the fluid pump/tubing kit at local parts store (marine appplication). At first I thought I had solved the problem and it shifted fine but after running a little while longer I still have the hard delayed shifts into reverse but still not all the time. Bad solenoid? Anybody have any ideas before I sink more money into her?

Verify fluid level.

Yes fluid level good per online videos, when hot fluid drains from constant flow to a dripping (no dip stick).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good day, if this part fails...would it stop my truck from reversing and engaging 4x4? I have a 05 sport Trac xlt

Thanx

Back