Help with Dash Wiring Identification (pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with Dash Wiring Identification (pics)

justsearching

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
97xl
As part of my 4405 to 1354 tcase swap I'm updating my '97 XL center dash trim to a version with the 2WD/4hi/4lo switch, fog light switch, and aux 12V port. The new one should be from a 98 but I can't be certain.

StockandNewTrim.jpg

Taking off the stock unit, I discovered there were already harness connections plugged into dummy sockets on the right side of the stock panel. One fits physically into the new panel's fog switch but I'm not certain where the wires end up. Can anyone confirm connections for me?

DashWiringwOverlays.jpg

4WD and Cig are known true from my stock panel. Unknown and Fogs? were plugged into dummy ports. Any ideas? Wires as follows:

Unknown (wire/stripe colors)
Purple/Green
Pink/Black
Black
White/Black
Gray/Red
Red/Black

Fogs?
Green
Red/Black
Black
Blue/Red

Thanks!
Dave

BTW, if anyone has a stock am/fm/cassette sitting in their garage, say post-mp3 deck upgrade, I could use it. I killed a very small but important part of the one pictured.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everything looks good, i believe your unknown is for the rear wiper?

The unknown connector is indeed the rear wiper switch.

The colors on your fog lamp switch connector are different from mine. The only 2 switches that are there are the fog lamp switch and the rear defrost switch, and the connectors have tabs on them that won't let them interchange, so I assume it must be for the fog lamps.

I have the stock am/fm/ cass from my 96. still need it?

Pete, I sure do. What do you want for it?

I didn't get any response to my ad so started browsing crutchfield. Hate to spend the money right now though.

Dave

Back