Help with driver side passenger door outer door handle replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with driver side passenger door outer door handle replacement

RoccoMitolo

Reaction score
City, State
Northeastern Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
An over served buddy of mine was trying to get into my car the other night before I could get the doors unlocked, and low & behold, broke the driver side rear door handle off. I've found replacement handles online for $10-$20, I've found one video with a fella replacing the outer handle for the front passenger door, is there much difference for the rear driver side door? Anything I should know about or take into consideration before going for this? If it's basically the same and pretty straight forward, that'd be great. Any help or suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

its pretty straight forward. I used that video as well and it helped a lot. just be sure not to drop anything down inside the door! I believe there were two studs with nuts that need to be removed inside the door and the handle will fall loose. you'll need to maneuver it out and away from the control arms inside the door but that's fairly simple and straightforward.

take your time and look it over before making a move. if I could do it you can as well!

good luck!

It's an easy job, takes 30 minutes or so. When I bought my Explorer, the exterior rear passenger door handle was broken. Bought an aftermarket one online for less than $20 that matches well.

I watched a YouTube video or two on how to take everything apart.

Back