• Register Today It's free!

help with flexplate spacer

hatched91

Reaction score
City, State
godfrey, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport ohv 5spd
Okay, i sold my friend my 1997 explorer 4.0 ohv to put in his 91 explorer. The 97 motor came with a 5spd. It has an 8 bolt crankshaft and the 91 had a 6 bolt. my friend is trying to put the 97 into the 91 which has an automatic trans. he pulled an 8 bolt flexplate from the junkyard and swears there was no spacer, but it seems like there needs to be a spacer for it. none of the local auto part stores show one. Does anyone know if the 96 and up has a flexplate spacer? if so, does it need to come from an OHV and no a sohc? is the OHV flexplate different from the SOHC?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me understand. He is taking a 97 5 speed manual tranny and swapping it into a 91 that previously had an automatic ?

no sorry, i guess i could've wrote the story a little more clearly:D my friend is trying to put a 4.0 ohv from a 97sport into his 91 explorer. the 91 explorer block had a 6 bolt crankshaft and the 97 has an 8 bolt crankshaft. the 97 came with a flywheel, therefore we did not have the flexplate. he went and pulled a flexplate from the junkyard off of an 8 bolt 4.0. we are trying to figure out if there is supposed to be a spacer on the ohv and if the flexplates differ between ohv and sohc.

I was waiting to understand before I pointed out the difference between a flywheel and a flexplate.

There is a spacer. BB has steered you to a place you can obtain it.

thanks for the help guys. i found it and its super cheap!

I do not know about your application, but on a 302 they have a different spacers for different toothed flexplates. Even though they both bolt up perfectly. It's in the bolt holes for the starter that things get screwed up.

Back