Help with remote start!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with remote start!!!

Welcome to the Forum Sunroofguy. :wave:
Thank you for posting that reminder.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If 2G is the problem... even 3G is supposed to be phased out in waves, right now and more with every passing day (AT&T targets a year from now but others' targets have already passed), so could even be a 3G support problem and you need 4G.

Ford's long range remote starts w/fobs do not operate off of cell service.

@jrichardson1701 This document contains fob programming directions for the long range remote system: https://www.paulmachenry.com/wp-con...BASSnqSFzVMXaXP_5bBef5T7lDC0H4h8iu7kOZtei3jCs

Its the same even though you have the one way remote.
The OP isn't using a factory installed remote, the fob doesn't look like the one referenced in the above manual. The OP said it was a dealer installed kit. most likely private labeled with the Ford logo available only through Ford dealerships.

The OP isn't using a factory installed remote, the fob doesn't look like the one referenced in the above manual. The OP said it was a dealer installed kit. most likely private labeled with the Ford logo available only through Ford dealerships.
Yeah, he is using the one way fob....programs the same. Visit accessories.ford.com

Yeah, he is using the one way fob....programs the same. Visit accessories.ford.com
I found very specific instructions finally:

Here are the instructions for the long range remote start fob programming for 11-15 Explorer:

Key Start Vehicles:

NOTE: These steps must be performed with the VSS module security jumper removed if previously installed. For additional information refer to "VSS Module - Optional Vehicle Security Features".

1 Start with doors unlocked

2 Driver's door open (remaining open throughout)

3 Verify that the gearshift lever is in the "PARK" position.

4 Depress and hold brake pedal.

5 Start with ignition key OFF.

6 Cycle ignition key to the ON then OFF position 5 times, then back to the ON position a 6th time. ▪ The horn will honk 3 times to indicate transmitter learn mode access.

7 Press the START button on each transmitter you wish to program. The horn will honk 1 time each time the START button is pressed to indicated the transmitter has been learned.

8 Cycle ignition key to the OFF position to exit transmitter learn mode.

9 NOTE: If the security jumper is installed the vehicle security features are disabled. If previously removed, reinstall the VSS module security jumper. For additional information, refer to "VSS Module - Optional Vehicle Security Features".

Push Button Start Vehicles:

NOTE: These steps must be performed with the VSS module security jumper removed if previously installed. For additional information refer to "VSS Module - Optional Vehicle Security Features".

1 Enter the vehicle with the vehicle key(s) and key fobs you wish to program.

2 Depress and hold brake pedal.

3 Press the start/stop button.

4 After the vehicle starts press the start/stop button to shut down.

5 Repeat steps 3 and 4 an additional four times, ending in ignition off, engine off.

6 Release the brake pedal.

7 Press the vehicle start/stop button twice to turn ignition on. ▪ The horn will honk 3 times to indicate transmitter learn mode access.

8 Press the remote start button on each fob you wish to program (horn will honk indicating successful programming).

9 Cycle ignition to the OFF position to exit transmitter learn mode.

10 NOTE: If the security jumper is installed the vehicle security features are disabled. If previously removed, reinstall the VSS module security jumper. For additional information, refer to "VSS Module - Optional Vehicle Security Features".

The Ford Dealership says they can't repair the remote start on my wife's 2015 XLT. Anybody have an idea how I can just remove the thing. I want to install one from 12v systems but I don't think I can until I remove the current system.
Howdy, my wife’s 2015 Sport had a factory installed remote start. We later added the cellular based Remote Access Unit (RMU).
It all worked great for years, until Ford disabled the cellular based Remote Access service. The cellular and key fob remote starting both stopped working.

Suspecting the RMU being disabled caused the problem I removed the Remote Access Unit (RMU) and put the original OBDII data link connector in place. I may have also unplugged the battery too, but I’m not positive.

To remove the RMU, refer to page 15 of the install guide attached above.

If you were using the cellular system in conjunction with key fobs to remote start and would like cellular access again. The Drone Mobile system works awesome.

No guarantee this will work for you, but it might.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

Howdy, my wife’s 2015 Sport had a factory installed remote start. We later added the cellular based Remote Access Unit (RMU).
It all worked great for years, until Ford disabled the cellular based Remote Access service. The cellular and key fob remote starting both stopped working.

Suspecting the RMU being disabled caused the problem I removed the Remote Access Unit (RMU) and put the original OBDII data link connector in place. I may have also unplugged the battery too, but I’m not positive.

To remove the RMU, refer to page 15 of the install guide attached above.

If you were using the cellular system in conjunction with key fobs to remote start and would like cellular access again. The Drone Mobile system works awesome.

No guarantee this will work for you, but it might.

Hope this helps. Good Luck
Welcome to the Forum Ray. :wave:
It wasn't Ford that actually disabled Remote Access service. I ended due to AT&T no longer supplying the 3G service.

Peter

Back