help with rpm's and idle issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help with rpm's and idle issue

yes an autozone works fine, lets start out with a fuel pressure test.

go there and get the tool, tell them you need to test your fuel pressure.

and remember your talking on a forum lol, there are tons of write ups and people who can help walk you through things like dropping your tank to change your pump.

lets try one thing at a time.

if your fuel pump is bad or is dying, your motor wont be getting the amount of fuel it needs which would make it do alot of crazy stuff.

keep in mind you have alot of miles on your motor, these symptoms your having could be caused my multiple issues or parts that are in poor condition

wonder how much they charge
yeah my wife says that by the time im done replaceing this and that on it it will be an entire new engine lol
also my wife's very iffy about me droping the tank and to be honest i dont know if i would trust myself to do something that big
also have to wait till next payday to see how much they will loan the parts for
unfortunitly now i have to get my windshield fixed, a wrench found its way to it when i got mad lol
wasnt aiming for it tho hehehe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha. try to keep us updated on how it runs and with any changes

welp, now i cant seem to get the o ring on the fpr to sit right so there is a pressure leak, i can hear it hissing, and when i first turn the key, i belive it spits out alittle gas, talk about toxic gas smell while driving

try using a paper gasket, the o-ring gaskets are a pain in the ass and dont like to seal all that well

wanna explain that one to me? how is it possable to use a paper gasket? and where would i find one?

oh my fault, i miss read it and thought you said IAC. ya i dont think you can use a paper one there.. is it the right o-ring?

i belive so, it came with the fpr
and when that one messed up i changed it to the old o ring and tried that

did the old o-ring work any better? i wouldnt drive it until you get that sealed, if its leaking fuel you could start a fire and that would be bad

no doesnt look like either o ring worked for ****, i started it up and ran it for a little, idleing high as useual, then i turned it off and i can hear a faint hissing sound comeing from the fpr

where did you get the fpr at? i would take it back and tell them the o-ring doesnt fit

ebay actualy, i had to go cheap unfortunitly, it was alot cheaper then autozone, the other one fit on the fpr ok but i guess im missing something
is it possable to buy other o rings?

are you sure its the right fpr? i would try taking it to autozone and comparing the new one with one they have and see if they look the same. if it is, see if you can just buy a different o-ring that fits better

yeah i checked online with autozone befor i got the one from ebay there were two kinds, one where the fuel line snaped on and the other where it screwed on, i have the one that screwes on

ok, i would go up there and see if they can find you a gasket that fits better so it doesnt leak.

yeah thats what i got planed for tomorrow i think
now just have to get the speedometer on my friends 88 chevy cavalier to work, lol my work is never done, shame i cant find a site like this for that car too
would make life alittle easyer

have you tried banging on the dash? lol

yep sure have, when i first got shold of it going 65 would make it be around 25, the guy told me that it was missing a peice that went into the meeter, so i took it off, bought a cable kit for it, replaced it, i know it spins but i think maybe a wire is bad and its not creating a magnetic field or somehting like that, so i'll spend hours and hours on the net trying to fix this one lol and find out where thoes 3 wires go to and see if one is bad

well it sounds like you know more about speedos than i do, wish i could be of some help

truth be told i've never done anything with them, just knew how to do the cable and whatnot, lol i'll get it eventualy
if i knew all the probs im gonna have to fix on it, i wouldnt have had my friend buy it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just a hint on the o-ring ....use motor oil and not some silicone based lube( silicone based lubes may cause injector problems if it reaches them) to seat it .when i did mine i used plain old 30w but before i did that i made sure the rail was absolutely clean from the old o-ring.......when i took my fpr off part of the old ring ( the top edge of the ring ) was still in the rail ....i never saw it till i to could not get the new one on there .lucky for me it was still somewhat still together and got a tweezer and snagged it .

Back