'94 XLT 4X4
Any help with these trouble codes?
124 - Throttle Position Sensor voltage higher than expected
172 - Heated oxygen sensor indicates lean condition, right side
173 - Heated oxygen sensor indicates rich condition, right side
176 - Heated oxygen sensor indicates lean condition, left side
177 - Heated oxygen sensor indicates rich condition, left side
214 – Cylinder identification (CID) circuit failure
1994, 4.0L, 4WD, 97K miles. Runs OK, but is definitely down on power and I only get 200 miles to a tank of gas. When running bad, feels like missing couple of cylinders, than suddenly kicks in. CEL comes on intermittent, but stays on after 2 hours driving. It always comes on when going downhill at highway speed. HEGO sensor(s)? MAF? EGR?

I’m USAF stationed in Germany and when I took it to the Ford dealer they told me I would have to leave it with them for at least a week so they could figure out what is wrong. I know they don’t get many Explorer’s. I’ve already paid a month’s wages in labor for other problems and really can’t afford more. I know I’m asking for a lot of “free” advice, but I’m getting desparate -- and broke!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the board!

I will give my 2 cents and I'm sure other will chime in and help. In fact I can guarantee they will chime in (wont you guys). Seems to be your O2 sensors ( I guess that was a given). I believe we have 4 or 6 sensors on our truck. I believe 3 are easy to replace and one is kinda tuff but doable. Try a search for Oxygen Sensor. I would also clean the MAF if you haven't done so. Its easy to do and may help the truck get the right O2 and fuel mixture. One thought is to clean the MAF then disconnect the battery for awhile to reset the computer and see if you get the same error codes. Ok next helpful person, your turn.

Thanks for search info!

I've cleaned the MAF and reset computer. I searched the posts for practically everything other than "oxygen sensors". After reading 2-hours worth of posts, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying some O2 sensors. I am wondering about a possible intake leak though.

What about code 214 (CID circuit failure)??? It seems unrelated to the rest of my problems.

Thanks in advance to any replies/solutions!

TPS voltage: do a search for another free horsepower mod. It will show you how to adjust your TPS and get the proper voltage. That should get rid of code 124

Go buy 4 new oxygen sensors and replace the ones you have now. That should get rid of code 172,173,176,176

As for the CID one I am lost. I want to say that it has something to do with the ignition like the coil pack but im not 100% sure.

I wouldn't jump out and buy O2 sensors. There is some fault that is causing them to read constantly lean, then jump over and read constantly rich. This suggests to me a fault outside of the sensors themselves. Check the wiring real carefully and make sure all is well. I found some info on the 214 that also suggests to maybe hold off on buying O2 sensors.
CID signal provides PCM information for fuel injector
synchronization. The CID signal is generated from Camshaft Position
(CMP) sensor. Enter this CIRCUIT TEST only when instructed during
QUICK TEST. This test is only intended to diagnose:
* CID +, CID -, CID, SIG RTN and VREF wiring harness circuits.
* Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor.
* Powertrain Control Module (PCM).1) Continuous Memory Code 214: Code 214 indicates error has been detected in CID sensor input signal. Error could be due to a hard fault or an intermittentfault. Possible causes for this fault are:
* Open or shorted wiring harness.
* Faulty CMP sensor.
* Faulty ICM.
* Faulty PCM.

Copyright © 1997 Mitchell International
Then it goes through the details of the pinpoint test. Anyway, at one point in the pinpoint test, it suggests checking the HEGO ground circuit.

Anyway, I'd carefully go over the wiring and such and diagnose it carefully before throwing parts at it. Throwing $200 in parts at what might turn out to be bad ground would sure irritate me

Back