• Register Today It's free!

Help??

Vanquish502

Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
91EB, 91EB, 92XLT
I know this has probably been discussed before but I have no idea what to search for.

I tried climbing a pretty steep hill in 2wd, and got nowhere. Put it in neutral and rolled down the hill. Got to the bottom, put it in drive and hit 4x4. 4x4 came on and I got up the hill easy. Got to the top and we decided to walk around before just getting stuck or something stupid. I shut the truck off and we walked around for about a minute and decided bad idea. Got into the truck and went forward, back down a different hill. Got to the bottom and tried turning 4x4 off....

....4x4 wont shut off!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried smashing the shift motor with a hammer while my cousin pressed the button. To no avail. All that did was made the fuel pump prime the system everytime I hit the motor(Whats up with that by the way?).

I figured it was the button because at the same time 4x4 stuck on, the lights behind the buttons also died. So I put the button in from MY truck and it still wont shut off.

I pulled the cables from the battery for couple minutes and put them back on, but 4x4 still wont shut off.

Someone help? lol. This is my dads truck that hes only had for like 6 days...and I cant screw it up already. Can the shift motor actually seize up taht badly that fast? Before the hill I turned 4x4 on and off atleast 5 times.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you might want to use a more descriptive title next time - i think everyone in the 911 forum wants help. Sounds autohubs are stuck(common problem on 1st gens) since if your shift motor was acting up, the lights would stay on. you can try going in reverse to disengage 4x4. If that doesnt work, try taking off the wheels then take off the hubs (The outer hub is the thing that says "4x4" on it) - when the wheel is off, it will pull right off. Look inside. Yours is prob clogged with grease. Try to get as much grease out as you can, then try to wash the rest out with liberal amounts of paint thinner. After you do that, drain all the paint thinner and let the insides soak in some clean ATF(Auto transmission Fluid), drain the ATF and reinstall. Might work. I know when I was having some trouble with my autohubs this trick worked for me and now they work fine. (You may need to try several cycles of paintthinner, drain, ATF, drain - but give it at least 2 hours with each so that it can get all around inside the hub)

EDIT- Also, there is no need to smash the motor with a hammer. A firm but gentle tap with a rubber mallet is all that is needed - after all, you dont want to break the shift motor if its not broken.

I dont think its the hubs...

I've read on this forum that the LED beside the button is the indicator light for the transfer case. The light is on meaning the transfer case is still in 4x4.

When I back up the hubs unlock, and when I go forward the hubs lock.

I've gone in reverse...like 100 feet at 40 km/h...the hubs just locked as soon as I moved forward

I really need to fix this. U-joints that bind up really REALLY badly when you turn at low speeds is really annoying and scary when it sounds like it just cracked when it unbinds.

4x4 works in reverse.... if its actually in 4x4.....

True, but only if you press the button and go in reverse before forward. Going the opposite way you went after you pressed the button, unlocks the hubs.

Unless after it unlocks and you keep going it's supposed to lock again...which between me and my dad theres 2 explorers and neither of them lock in the same direction they unlocked.

Could it be a blown relay or something? I was reading other posts about the relays clicking in the back. When I press the 4x4 button there aren't any clicks.

Anyone???

:*(

if the lights went out after you pushed the button it sounds to me like you have no power to your electric shift 4x4 system, try checking the fuse.

Also you can always unbolt the ashift motor and put the T case in 2wd by hand.

The illumination light behind the button died? The light beside the 4x4 button stays on. It's almost as if the button doesnt work. But it cant be the button because I put my button in my dads truck and it still did nothing. But when i Put my button in, the green backlighting works.

shift motor rebuild time, ditch the auto hubs.
This is the next step to your problem

While you have the motor off you can switch the truck into 2wd, make sure its in P or N when you do.

Doesnt hitting the motor usually free it up? I beat the hell out of it and still got nothing but priming from the fuel pump.

ALL THE HITTING DOES IS "JAR" the armature in the motor if its getting power to it hitting it will only damage housing. often times that trick does not work on all motors. all the time. i would run with 410 and his advise ... at least it will be in 2wd.. and the fuel pump thing is rather pickular . dont know what to think oin that must really be smakin it with that hammer . hopefully you didnt damage the motor houusing permentaly leaving motor in its presant condition.

i dought the fuel pump was priming when you were playing with the motor... what most likely happened is you heard the shift motor trying to move and it couldnt because you were trying to beat the crap out of it.....

No...it was the fuel pump priming the system...everytime I hit it.

I had my head right under the gas tank and I heard what sounded like air going to the top of the tank?

Anyway I took the motor out and the magnets were shattered. Got a new motor and it works...

But now the relays in the back click almsto three times as long with this motor than they did before...whats up with that?

increase volume with the audio system about 10 clicks works very well. no jk i dont know why that would be happening. other then perhaps the motor is slower at completing its job?
and just a question did you learn anything from your expierance?

There is a T-case shift motor postion sensor (part of the shift motor assembly) that signals the 4x4 controller that it has reached its destination and to power off. If the shift motor is old/worn then it just takes longer to rotate the selector shaft from 2H to 4H.

If it takes that many clicks I am also guessing your armature needs to be adjusted on the new motor. I hope you didnt pay $300 for one, I have a box of about 4 of these suckers......I have rebuilt like 9 to date and all 9 function fine still today, well except for RangerX's but thats not my fault I swear :)

If you look at the shift motor you will see a series of hash marks, once the motor is mounted you have to adjust the armature to work perfectly with your t case.....

same deal here

Have you figured out the problem?
I am having the exact same thing the thing these folks are not understanding here is that the 4x4 is engaged problem is it won't disengage, the indicator light goes out for a few seconds and then lights back on without disengaging at all during the time that the light is out there is no cluncking of any sort

my 4x4h indicator light stays on, I push the botton like i'm suppose to and what it does is the light goes out 10 seconds or so then it comes on again even while driving over 35mph it does not apear to be locked in to gear however I believe it remains in 4x4wd, it does not engage into 4l or 4h any ideas ? feel free to chime in here

I have read and understand basicly all about the infamous brown wire my question is will this bypass the 4x4 indicator switches or are they still functional and necessary after installing the switch control onto the dash b/w?

shrek2much said:
Have you figured out the problem?
I am having the exact same thing the thing these folks are not understanding here is that the 4x4 is engaged problem is it won't disengage, the indicator light goes out for a few seconds and then lights back on without disengaging at all during the time that the light is out there is no cluncking of any sort

my 4x4h indicator light stays on, I push the botton like i'm suppose to and what it does is the light goes out 10 seconds or so then it comes on again even while driving over 35mph it does not apear to be locked in to gear however I believe it remains in 4x4wd, it does not engage into 4l or 4h any ideas ? feel free to chime in here

I have read and understand basicly all about the infamous brown wire my question is will this bypass the 4x4 indicator switches or are they still functional and necessary after installing the switch control onto the dash b/w?

I think you need to read some more on the brown wire mod.. It is Not applicable to a 1st gen Explorer '91-'94 (displayed under your avatar). From reading your above post you indicate 4x4 works fine, but the 4x4 light does not stay off correct?
When you engage 4x4 you will hear and feel a slight clunk as the electromagnetic clutch within the T-Case slowly brings the front drive shaft up to speed which will then lock the front autohubs... When you press 4x4 again it will only disengage the electromagnetic clutch (which will make no noise @ least I've never heard it). The front drive shaft and hubs are still locked so they continue to rotate (you'd need to reverse direction to unlock them). Various members (including me) have had the 4x4 button lights come on (dimly) while driving and not engaging 4x4.

Some Questions:
  • Does the Dash 4x4 light and the 4x4 button light come on?
  • If you engage 4x4 and drive on drive pavement for a few feet does it feel like 4x4 is working?
  • If you then disengage 4x4 (but the light goes out and comes on) and drive on pavement again does it feel the same or different?
  • After the above back up straight for 10-20ft to unlock the front hubs. put a piece of tape on the front drive shaft and drive a short distance.. If the hubs or 4x4 are still engaged the tape will move, otherwise it will not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first I just want to thank you for your aid in the ( Won't Shift in 4-wheel. Lots of Snow!) could not have done it as confidently without your help God bless you sir. I will post my progress on that post so's not to throw things of into another direction in this post

first regarding the b/w, my bad, good thing I haven't cut any wires yet (lol)

(disregard the first thread) ok I have disengaged the 4x4 by going in reverse however my 4x4 dash indicator button light is still dimly lit and my 4x4 amber switch light as well, ok what happens is when I push the amber light switch, it remains lit and does not clunk or anything, and now it does not engage into 4x4h or 4l but if I push on the low it will light off and on but not engage or clunk either and when I push it again to turn the lights off the 4x4 dash light, and the amber switch light goes out simutaneously 10 seconds or so, and then light back on and remain on, while still engaged in 2h. ( in other words my lights are always reading 4x4h but I am actually engaged in 2h) I take it that this won't hurt the transM or transF case if I drive it this way am I right ?

so what I have done since was follow your shift motor teardown and rebuild thread/advise, I followed it step by step, it was quite a fun experience and yet educational at the same time "how about that". and yes sure enough the little plastic bump washer was devoured but got replaced with rubber fuel line, now assuming I did all this correctly, I am still getting the same response (dim dash and amber light at all times) but now I discovered that my sh/motor is not functioning or rotating,
I did not do the terminal test as you describe, instead I got underneath and connected the terminal harness wires while my lovely assistance sarted the Ex and placed it in N then she pushed on the 4x4 button, to no avail. the motor did "nada" so for now I mounted the S/motor back in as is for now in 2h until I can figure this one out. I just don't think it's the motor do you? as I did an overhaul and all looks well "now" connectors, bushings, gears etc... just not convinced.

and Yes I have tried disconnecting the battery, checked the 40 amp fuse in the main box and even did the little white button test in the rear (which does not light any code).

let me ask DeRocha I had a rebuild done on my Ex 2 weeks ago with 6 month warranty (and free tow :D I live 3 hours from the shop that's one for the little guys) could this problem that I'm experiencing have any connection or arise from the transmission rebuild that was performed?
in reagards to the Tm/Tc

Back