Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ranger
Hey,

Need a little help,

I have a 2001 ranger "edge."
just bought the truck and two weeks later I go to start it and the battery was dead and an obnoxious "clicking" noise ensued until I hit the break peddle. This clicking noise seemed to be coming from inside the truck under the steering wheel. And the usual beeping noise that would sound if your door was ajar was now broken up and covered by this "clicking" noise. Which by the way occured even if I pulled my key out of the ignition. Very odd. So as I said I hit the break peddle and the noise stopped. I left for work and came back to check up on it and jump the battery. Nothing. And then the noise wouldnt stop. So I followed the sound to a small black fuse box directly underneath the steering column. Inside were 3 big, black, rectangular fuses and one larger blue fuse. The clicking seemed to be coming from this fuse box as well. So I pulled one fuse and the clicking stopped.The normal beeping of the door ajar came back.

My question is this: What is this box? What the hell is this noise? And why when I pull one of these black fuses in particular, does the noise stop?

-Also the black fuse i have removed has a diagram of what looks like a circuit, with the numbers 1 thru 5 on it.

If anyone can help me out on this that'd be f'n great.

I bet those are relays and one is not pulling in all the way to make contact. It pulls in then lets go then pull in again. May be some kind of 25 to 30 amp relay for something like AC or some other large amp thing. Pull the one thats clicking and repace.

Back