• Register Today It's free!

Help!!

Thew_77

Reaction score
City, State
Valley Ne,
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I just got another speeding ticket today, I have a 92 Explorer running 31" Tires what do I need to ge the spedo back to correct. My gear ratio is stock and nothing else has been changed becides the tire size. Help fast this is getting expencive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to change the gear on the end of the speedometer cable that goes into the tranny. There are several threads here on it. FYI, if you went from 235 75R15's to 31's, your speedometer is only off 5%. For example, when your speedo reads 60, you are actually doing only 63, which shouldn't get you a ticket.

I know I have to change the gear on the spedo cable but I need to know what size. And mine is like 5-10mph off I got a ticket for 15 over this morning and was going 45-50 by the spedo. I need the gear with one more tooth than stock correct? Need to get this done soon.

Thanks

No, if you changed your tires and didn't change the gears, you need a speedo gear with one tooth LESS than stock. You're speedo readings are too low, correct? Then you need a smaller gear.

Thank you! now where do I get it, and what do I ask for?

You have to know how many teeth you currently have. Go to this thread for some help and some part numbers of Ford speedo gears. Once you know how many teeth you have, you know which gear to get.

Dead Link Removed

Got the new gear Thanks everyone havent got it checked yet but It's damn close, so it will do. And hey that color chart is way off my old and new gears were bolth yellow

Thank again.

Back