• Register Today It's free!

here's my dilemma

93exploder

Reaction score
City, State
Lubbock, TX - Texas Tech
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 2wd
OK i currently have 1 Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC 12" in a bandpass box powered by a sony xplod 100x2 watt amp. I am beginning to think it would sound better if i bought 2 sony Xplod 12"s (require less power) and putting them in a sealed box. And i could sell my current box and sub and get the other for about the same price. It seems that my sub only sounds real good on deep deep bass (504 boys - Wobble Wobble, Nelly - E.I.) and not so good on rock type songs. what is any of your guys' opinions ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, depends what ya want....If ya want good rock and roll...Go sealed...mixture....go ported....all out bass and bumps...go bandpass. That is the generally how it all goes.
Pete

Have you tried playing with the controls on the amp at all, or changing the settings on the deck? Sometimes that helps but it sounds like sub is being underpowered.Also, is your amp bridged? and how do you have it wired?

The amb is bridged to the one sub i think at 280 watts and maybe that is not enough for that sub that is why i am thinking of changing to a sub that requires less power and maybe the box is hampering me too.

280 watts sounds like a sufficient amount of power for on 12" sub, the box could also be too small for the sub which could make it sound worse, too.

I defintely agree with what 4WHEELIN had to say. My system sounded crappy until I messed with the controls on the headunit and adjusted the GAIN on the amp. Definitely play with it a little and see what you like. Try adjusting the equalizer on the head unit and if that doesn't work then go buy the new stuff. That is just my idea, but best of luck to you...

I would have to agree with the last two replys also. There is almost an infinite amount of tweaking you can do with your amp gains, amp crossover, and HU equalizer. I did all kinds of messing with mine, but what made the biggest improvement in my bass was turning on the loudness feature on my HU. Good luck.

If you want that good mixture of bass, then either go up to ported or sealed. With these two types of boxes, you won't be able to hit the bass as hard as you are now, but you'll get a wider range of bass, rather than just a few notes. The bandpass box is exactly that. It only lets a few bands of frequency pass through, that being the major low end bass. That means that it will not let the bass notes of low end guitar out so well, like the higher end bass notes. Your bass will be tighter, because the waves bump around inside the box until they are "modified" and hit the right frequency to escape the box. Therefore, you get the echoing, rubmly bass, cause when the bass hits, there may still be some waves bouncing around trying to get out. With a sealed box, you'll get the tighter bass, but then you'll lose that cool rumble that you probably enjoy with the monster bass jams.

Back