Hey Cobrajeff!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hey Cobrajeff!!!!

jeffd

Reaction score
I hear you are the king of stock Ford stereos. I want to use the dual medai radio from my 99 XLT Explorer in my 97 F-150. I already have the plugs wired, but get no sound. My Explorer did not have the powered sub or anything fancy, but I fear it requires an amp to run it. Got any ideas ?

The factory Dual Media radio has an integral amplifier - it does not need an external amp. What was the part number of the radio you took out of your F-Series? Some of the radio models used in F-Series trucks have external amps, so you may have a compatibility issue. Other than that, I would recheck again all of the wire splices you had to make to put the '99 model electrical connections into your '97 model vehicle.

BTW, in order to seat that Dual Media radio into the dash of an F-Series, a little "massaging" needs to be done in the opening to remove a couple ribs above the radio in the substrate of the I/P. A "hot knife" works well, or you could probably do it with a small razor saw.

Regards,

cobrajeff

Cobrajeff, I have a question for ya. As you know already, I have the JBL system with the cassette player ONLY, without the cd changer controls. I saw a JBL receiver with cd changer controls on e-bay so I want to wonder if it'll work on my '96. Will the connectors work?? thank you very much.

Back