Hi, New Member New Problem For 99 xpl | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi, New Member New Problem For 99 xpl

REDDY

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
From NY, Just Bought a 1999 explorer sport and did somthings to it, and was getting ready to do more things to it, then i went to go and pop the hood, nothing, and kept trying, my hood wont open, been pushing down on hood and tried popping it open again and nothing :scratch: :hammer:

appreciate any help or any known issues of this happening to explorers thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

You probably broke your hood release cable. In this case it is best to have a mechanic get it opened for you. I would look in a junk yard for a replacement.

Please create only one thread for your issue, thanks

its not broke, probably stretched, was thinking about getting the vice grips out but dont want to resort to that method unless have to or would the cable brake and recoil away so i cant reach it?

Hm, can you hear anything when you pull the lever to pop it? Does it feel like anythings pulling? I took my release under the hood off once, to clean it, and didnt put it on exactly in the same position as when i took it off, and couldnt get my hood back open

Look at the bracket that holds the Handel under the dash. Did the metal bracket get bent back?

tension is there, the cable that ran thru the firewall, in that same hole i ran 4guage power wire, was thinking it made hood cable stretch, but yeah there is alot of tension and pull it all the way up and nothing, i also removed the mount on dash before when i took apart my dash

bracket is fine

Did you slam a rag in there or something? keep working it with spray lube.

slam, no lol, i was using a crowbar for a min to try and pry lol where to spray lube, on front mount?

i was using long screwdriver thru grill to mess with latch also still nothing

I seems like i can get to mine through the grill but i cant get a good visual on it right now due to a t-storm here. I will be willing to bet that the lever on the inside should be held out while you manipulate the latch. Maybe with hanger wire.

I seems like i can get to mine through the grill but i cant get a good visual on it right now due to a t-storm here. I will be willing to bet that the lever on the inside should be held out while you manipulate the latch. Maybe with hanger wire.

thats what i was thinking and trying before, but had to leave didnt have much time to mess with it, just need to find right tool for the job like a coat hanger as he said

need to get this fixed tomorrow somehow and also fixing rear axle seal :hammer:

Also, there is a silver plastic grill and small holes so it will b hard for anything to stick in small holes without breaking it

Back