new member, new problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new member, new problem

Larry Clark

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
Hello, I replaced the battery on my 01 Explorer Sport which I purchased new in 2001. It now has 49359 miles on it. After replacing battery, vehicle went into anti-theft mode. I tried all the reset fixes that I found on internet; nothing would fix problem. I had to have it towed to dealership who replaced the PATS module and re-programed the keys. Cost was just under $600. However, now the chime that warns that lights or key is still in ignition will sound as soon as I open door; it does stop when I shut the door. I really cannot afford to take it back to dealer even it obviously was something that they caused. I can live with this but I an concerned that there might be an underlying problem that could arise. Can anyone advise? I am 83 years old and not flexible enough to fix a problem that requires disassembly of components. Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does it start and run now?

There’s a wire to the ignition cylinder that goes to a key switch to activate the chime. I bet the dealer didn’t reconnect this properly….

Hello, I replaced the battery on my 01 Explorer Sport which I purchased new in 2001. It now has 49359 miles on it. After replacing battery, vehicle went into anti-theft mode. I tried all the reset fixes that I found on internet; nothing would fix problem. I had to have it towed to dealership who replaced the PATS module and re-programed the keys. Cost was just under $600. However, now the chime that warns that lights or key is still in ignition will sound as soon as I open door; it does stop when I shut the door. I really cannot afford to take it back to dealer even it obviously was something that they caused. I can live with this but I an concerned that there might be an underlying problem that could arise. Can anyone advise? I am 83 years old and not flexible enough to fix a problem that requires disassembly of components. Thank You
Other than it being a little annoying, I wouldn't stress over it. Mine started doing that 1 1/2 yrs ago after I removed the lower strg column cover for whatever reason. Just haven't felt the need to try and resolve it.

does it start and run now?

There’s a wire to the ignition cylinder that goes to a key switch to activate the chime. I bet the dealer didn’t reconnect this properly….
Yes, it starts now. Called the Ford garage and they said that they would check it out but if they determine that it wasn't their fault, I would be charged. It did not do that when it went to them, came back from them with this problem. Paid $400 plus for labor.

Other than it being a little annoying, I wouldn't stress over it. Mine started doing that 1 1/2 yrs ago after I removed the lower strg column for whatever reason. Just haven't felt the need to try and resolve it.
Thanks, that helps; am happy to hear that it is not something serious.

Thanks, that helps; am happy to hear that it is not something serious.
Hey Larry, I hope the dealership does right and fixes it. Maybe it's just a programming thing. That girl sounds sweet with such low mileage and that 01 Sport bodystyle. She sure must be pretty! I have a 97 Sport I'm currently in love with!

Back