hid 9007 high/ low beam kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hid 9007 high/ low beam kit

hey so i searched all over this sight, maybe just not the right words.
but i am looking in buying the slim ballast hid kit from DDM. the 35w 8000k. i have 9007 in my truck. my question is. there is an option for high/ low beams. my thing is my truck only has 1 light. so is this 2 lights? or one light that has a high/ low beam feature.
i dont NEED the high beams but would be nice for flashing drivers back besides using my light bar. so yea anyone able to help me here?

the kit is 60.00 for high/ low where as the low beams only is 40.00

thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It uses a single bulb for either kit. The bulb moves to simulate the location of the high and low filament in a stock 9007 bulb.

Please, if you are going to get those stupid PnP HID bulbs, at least get them in a color that gives you a bunch of useable light, instead of getting retarded blue 8000k bulbs. 4300 or 5000 k bulbs are much closer to natural light colors, and are still far whiter than your stock halogens. 4300 k is generally recognized as giving you the most amount of light in the useable spectrum.

OR, instead of making your explorer look cheaper by installing those that junk, you could consider doing an HID projector retrofit. There are at least a few threads on here of people who have done so.

Off topic, but I visited Lansing over the summer.
Also, I support the completely new headlight set up rather than sticking the HIDs in the stock set up. I understand the money thing though...so it's personal preference.

They are plug and play but they are legit and not just some eBay auction
. I have heard really good things about the ddm. But I do hear what you are saying with the light output however I want the blue tint to them. Kazer has them and likes them.
Alexsport yea Lansing isn't terrible... are you a Michigan guy? Yea the problem is I have mountaineer so I can't put explorer light in or I would have by now.

Thanks for replies. I will order the set tomorrow

The mountaineer has more room in the housing so you wouldn't have to do as much modification as the explorer housing, in case you do decided to Retro fit them.

Yea but I don't really want to go through all that work. Plus if its one bulb that is high/ low that's all I want/ need I may just tie my light bar lights into the high beams anyways.

They are plug and play but they are legit and not just some eBay auction
. I have heard really good things about the ddm. But I do hear what you are saying with the light output however I want the blue tint to them. Kazer has them and likes them.
Alexsport yea Lansing isn't terrible... are you a Michigan guy? Yea the problem is I have mountaineer so I can't put explorer light in or I would have by now.

Thanks for replies. I will order the set tomorrow

honestly, they are selling you rebranded versions of the same bulbs and ballasts you can get off many e-bay auctions. There are higher quality ones out there, but that is just speaking to their reliability and longevity. NO PnP HID will give you a good output pattern. It is just because of the way the optics are designed. Normal halogen housings are designed for certain amounts of light to be emitted from a filament in a specific orientation that is a certain length. HIDs flood much more light than what the optics are designed for, so there is much more light going into the areas that the optics are reflecting the light to. Furthermore, they are making that light at a point, which often times isn't where the filament was, and is not the same size as the filament, so parts of the optics are not picking up the light they were designed to pick up. Headlights aren't just like the flood projection you get from a flashlight, they are actually very precisely designed optics that sculpt light.

So your saying... ddm production hid kits are not worth it? Besides getting projector headlights custom made what are my options?
I've always heard hid kits were great I'm just confused I suppose.

Bare minimum, if you want to make a halfway decent light pattern, just pick up an aftermarket set of projector headlmaps for an explorer. Although, for that you would have to change to the explorer front end, which would significantly increase the cost.

Check out www.hidplanet.com for their forums on HID projector conversions. It is actually a lot easier than you think, especially with projector setups like morimoto mini projectors. If you ever saw the difference in the light pattern between a PnP HID bulb and a projector retrofit in person, you would wonder why ANYONE would do it any other way. Sure, it costs a lot more (around 400 bucks), but it is well worth the cost. If you don't want to spend that though, just get a coated high wattage halogen bulb that will make an HID like color, and make a relay harness so you don't burn out your switch prematurely and you get a good amount of current to the bulb.

I'm telling you though. Projectors look a lot classier, and would be somewhat unique in a mountaineer headlamp. PnP HID and HID simulating bulbs just look cheap IMO. Especially when you start getting all the glare they make.

Bare minimum, if you want to make a halfway decent light pattern, just pick up an aftermarket set of projector headlmaps for an explorer. Although, for that you would have to change to the explorer front end, which would significantly increase the cost.

Check out www.hidplanet.com for their forums on HID projector conversions. It is actually a lot easier than you think, especially with projector setups like morimoto mini projectors. If you ever saw the difference in the light pattern between a PnP HID bulb and a projector retrofit in person, you would wonder why ANYONE would do it any other way. Sure, it costs a lot more (around 400 bucks), but it is well worth the cost. If you don't want to spend that though, just get a coated high wattage halogen bulb that will make an HID like color, and make a relay harness so you don't burn out your switch prematurely and you get a good amount of current to the bulb.

I'm telling you though. Projectors look a lot classier, and would be somewhat unique in a mountaineer headlamp. PnP HID and HID simulating bulbs just look cheap IMO. Especially when you start getting all the glare they make.
So do you think it would be a better idea to just buy some blue tinted halogen bulbs? I use my offroad lights for most of driving light output. The gods would be great and awesome but seems like maybe the $60 for then wouldn't be worth it.
I'm looking for that blue tinted headlights not the white light

Well... Personally, I have a hard time recommending blue tinted bulbs too, just because it cuts down on useable light output... But, IMO, it is better than putting PnP HIDs in a factory halogen housing. Also, remember, off-road lights are for off-road use only, and you can get ticketed for using them on road.

Also, remember, off-road lights are for off-road use only, and you can get ticketed for using them on road.

You can only use them in the same instances that you can have your high beams on (basically when you're alone on the road). I guess if they were pointed sorta low that might still be fine.

EDIT: According to my 10 minutes of research about the laws here in Florida.

In Michigan if there on the bumper it don't matter as ling as headlights plus no more then 4 are on. Ad long as you don't have then shining in the sky at peoples eyes. I work for 2 police department and have been talked to by a few cops.
I want the blue for the look. The yellow/ white halogen doesn't do it for me. And the offroad lights give plenty if forward light for night tine driving

Back