HID Bulb question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Bulb question

I recently bought a used car (06 Tiburon) with HIDs on it (i still own the explorer, dont worry). The bulbs are not all that bright and one of the fog light bulbs needs to be replaced all together. Is there a specific bulb or maker I need to purchase from? The lights are HIDs (has the dome on the lense) but i'm not seeing any kind of balist; just a relay. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently bought a used car (06 Tiburon) with HIDs on it (i still own the explorer, dont worry). The bulbs are not all that bright and one of the fog light bulbs needs to be replaced all together. Is there a specific bulb or maker I need to purchase from? The lights are HIDs (has the dome on the lense) but i'm not seeing any kind of balist; just a relay. Thanks.

Are you sure they're HID and not just "HID Like"? Follow the wiring. They got to lead to a ballast of some sort.

I've scored decent deals for backup HID capsules on eBay. Prices on HID components have come down significant and they all seem to originate in the same places these days (i.e. China).

Specs for the 2000-2006 Tiburons show they weren't ever equipped with HID's from the factory. Chances are good what's on there is a cheesy (and illegal) aftermarket "HID conversion" kit, either the "fake HID" with superwhite halogen bulbs and/or a relay, or a "real" fake HID kit with HID bulbs grafted onto halogen housings. A *REAL* HID kit has the ballasts, and the HID bulbs from a brand name manufacturer like Philips. You can stick 'em in the halgen housings, but they usually don't do too well, at least not without dangerously blinding other drivers.

My suggestion would be to pull the bulbs and see what you've got. If they are halogen bulbs, and the "HID" kit wiring is just a relay, go ahead and replace the bulbs with some real ones like Sylvania XtraVision or Philips Hi-Visibility. If they are real HID bulbs, you'll need to get the number off the bulb/base and probably have to get them online, unless you have a parts store that will special order for you.

i think you mean "projector" Lights. HID's WILL have a ballast. i did all three of my lighting systems in 50w hids from ebay for less than 500 bucks... totaly worth it. you can pick up a 35w kit for around 65 bucks right now though.

If they are projector headlights and they have overwatt halogen bulbs the reflector bowls in the light may be burnt and the lights ruined. No more reflection = dim lights.
I did this on my 99 STS. Live & learn.
HID bulbs are not as hot and will not harm a projector light.
Just pull them apart and see what you have.

ahh... that's what they are, projectors. I forgot about those; my apologies. So to get HID's, will the holes in my Headlight lense fit? Will the HID's still be able to connect to the factory wiring?

Did some more research:
There is a switch inside the car that appears to do nothing. When I followed the wiring (black,red,yellow), they appear to end at the relay however, the yellow continues to the other side. The switch appears to be broken and if I can flip it (it sounds like it's cracking inside); nothing happens. The other two wires from the relay appear to be going to the driver's side projector. What I am wondering is if possibly someone put the projectors in and used the switch (the now broken one) inside the car to turn them on. Then somewhere down the line, another owner made it so they turn on via the factory switch. They used the relay so this can happen. What I don't understand is, if the switch appears to be non-functional, how are they still working? What I am concerned about is, can I still use HID's with the factory plug missing?

If your going to do this yourself you need a "test light" to see if there is current going thru/to the lights from the switch or relay. Who knows what someone else put in there & why. Test lights are about $5 at most stores.
Check out what kind of bulbs are OEM and see what you have now.
Its usually best to remove other peoples wiring and do your own so you know for sure what is there and where it goes.
HIDs are usually easy to install once you know what you got.

Will an HID kit plug into the projectors without any modification?

ok, thanks. Most sites I went on didn't ask what car I had. They just seemed to throw kits around. A few sites that did ask what kind of car I had, didn't say much about a size that fits. Thanks again for the info..

Back