HID in Fogs- DDM Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID in Fogs- DDM Kit

Hey guys,
1999 Ford Explorer here with the round fog lights that accept H1 bulbs stock. With my recent purchase recently of DDM tuning bulbs in my E46 BMW projectors- I am amazed at the quality. The price cannot be beat and I am just amazed at how well DDM products are made. I am looking at their full blown kits and am thinking of switching my fogs to HID. Few questions
-I did a full blown HID retrofit in my primary lights to avoid blinding people. If I HID my stock housings of my fogs, will I bright people?
-Will an H1 kit be best? I was reading a while ago (if memory serves correctly) that H7 is better in an HID fit for fogs over H1. Can someone confirm this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I heard the ballasts aren't the most reliable, but for the price it's worth the risk.

i bought my first pair of DDM h3 fog lights...... when i went off roading for the first time with the fogs both balalsts blew..... you get what you pay for.... thats just my 2 cents....

Thanks for the feedback guys. The good thing is the DDM kits carry lifetime warrenties. Anyone ever cash in on these?

Where I cannot comment on the ballasts, the bulbs are amazing and I love them so fast. I am running D2S bulbs in my retro fit

Thanks Bill for the idea. Ill look into those! My biggest thing is I dont want to blind other drivers.

i bought 2 sets of HID's from DDM one set for my fog lights and one for my chevelle. i have had them in there for just about 6 months and never had any problems with them well worth the price. would deff buy more kits from them

I will post a picture when I get a hold of it...

I do NOT have the round fogs, instead the square ones. I have the 'slim ballast' 5000k in my head lights, they are OUSTED by my fogs which are the raptor brand 4300k, both are 35watts. I do not know why, but the fog lights put less light on the road, but appear to be twice as bright when looking at them head on, from any angle. I normally use my fogs/park lights during the day as Daytime Running Lamps mostly.. I will sometimes turn the fogs off while driving down 2-lane roads to prevent people from getting PO'ed.

As for the lifetime warranty, my first 'raptor brand' had one bulb burn out within the 2nd month, I filed a claim on their website, they sent me an email telling me what to do, I opted to 2nd day them back to Cali and I had a brand new set at my door in 5 days. Haven't had a problem in 6 months.

EDIT -- this picture best displays the glare/color of the HIDs, again Raptor Brand 4300k with 35w ballasts

17999092.jpg

I will post a picture when I get a hold of it...

I do NOT have the round fogs, instead the square ones. I have the 'slim ballast' 5000k in my head lights, they are OUSTED by my fogs which are the raptor brand 4300k, both are 35watts. I do not know why, but the fog lights put less light on the road, but appear to be twice as bright when looking at them head on, from any angle. I normally use my fogs/park lights during the day as Daytime Running Lamps mostly.. I will sometimes turn the fogs off while driving down 2-lane roads to prevent people from getting PO'ed.

As for the lifetime warranty, my first 'raptor brand' had one bulb burn out within the 2nd month, I filed a claim on their website, they sent me an email telling me what to do, I opted to 2nd day them back to Cali and I had a brand new set at my door in 5 days. Haven't had a problem in 6 months.

EDIT -- this picture best displays the glare/color of the HIDs, again Raptor Brand 4300k with 35w ballasts

17999092.jpg

Fantastic post! So overall, would you recommend their kits?

Fantastic post! So overall, would you recommend their kits?

Absofrickinlutely! :p:

Just be prepared, there will be the occasional intersection where you pull up behind a small honda and your blowing up the interior of their car with light. It makes yah feel bad sometimes.. lol!!

10,000k also have 3000k that i put in sometimes
IMG_1414.jpg

10,000k also have 3000k that i put in sometimes
IMG_1414.jpg

Looks good but ouch that's bright from up high. I'm thinking of getting smaller projectors and retrofitting them into my fogs. So far, I am seeing a lot of glare

thats exactly what you get when u go higher than 10k, exactly the look i was going for

hmm not so sure about that. i now have 10k DDM bulbs in my BMW retrofit projectors and they are nice and blue and aren't so bright that they bright people

yours is different as to you have projectors completly different ball game. projectors make the lights look different colors from different angles casue of a prism effect.

Back