HID for brights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID for brights

I just recently installed a set of 10000k hid lights for my 2002 explorer for the low beams only. I was wondering if i got a 9005 set for my brights if this would work. I wanting to install hid for my brights fairly soon and then get a set for my projector fog lights too, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What wears out an HID system is the on/off switching. It is hard on the ballest. Thats why on OEM hid 4 light systems the low(HID) lights stay on when the brights(halogen bulbs) are turned on.
Useing HID for brights would wear them out much sooner and they dont get to full brightness for 20 secs. or so.
I assume you have a KC system or equivelent relay system to keep your low beams on with your high beams.

well all the 3rd gen explorers have 2 sets of lights, one for low, which never turn on to high and stay on when the other set turns on, and the other set is only used for the high beams, so you have 2 sets of bulbs stay on when you turn your brights on

should have got the HID kit with h3 halogen bulb as high beams

1146691552218_HID_kit_h4.gif

see how the HID bulb has a blue tinted halogen bulb for highs

well lets think about this, i have 2 dif sets of bulbs, one ONLY for low beam, and the other ONLY for high beam, now why would i go and buy a kit for that when i would have to wire it differently, and second, cant i plug in a 9005 kit and it will work the same?

im still wondering if my bright only bulb, as all 3rd gens have, if a hid kit would be ok to run with it in place of the halogen bright bulb

I dont see why not, it's getting turned on the same as the low beams would, but remember as was said, they need to "warm up"...

(Cant wait for my new HIDs/yellow fogs to come in the mail)

Those kits that have a HID and a H3 bulb...don't do it, the optics of your reflector obviously isn't designed for this and the beam pattern will suffer (and become dangerous to other drivers)

so do you believe that a 9006 kit will work fine for my brights, even though they need to warm up? and when i use my brights i keep them on for like 5 mins at a time

The filiment is probably in a different spot on the 9005 bulbs than it is on the 9006 bulbs. That means it is reflecting off a different part of the lense. Which would probably effect the light beam. Having said that it may not make too much difference as the HID is so much brighter.
Give it a try. The bulb base will have to be moded as the 9005 base is different than the 9006.
Or just try switching the HID bulbs you have now into the high beams.

well im going to only have my brights on when im on back roads, so glare is not an issue, and i already have a set of hid 9005 for my lower beam, and the 9006 is going to be my high beams, or just the lights that are going to be directed up as the housing is intended for

Just to clarify for others, 3rd gens use a two bulb setup for low/high beams.
9005 for low, and 9006 for high. When 3rd gens are using high beams, our low beams stay on, and the 9006 high bulb kicks on. Although you cant take immediate advantage of HID high beams, because they will take approx 15 seconds to fully ignite, your low beams will still be on, so it would not create any "no light" problems. I personally don't use high beams enough to justify the cost of a second set of HID's for them. If you do, or just have money to throw around ;) go for it. a 9006 kit would install the same as your 9005 kit. No modifications would be necessary to run two sets of HID's.

TsaktuO

thanks for the response, thats what ive been looking for

even though you say you use your highs for 5 minutes at a time, just be careful if you decide to quickly flash your highs at other drivers for any reason (to signal cops, to tell them to get outta your way, etc)... very bad for the ballasts

TsaktuO: The bulb number are the inverse. 9006 is for low beam and 9005 is for brights. If you don't believe me, please check the Explorer Owners manual.
Happy Rides
Andy

Back