• Register Today It's free!

HID headlight kit

Remi

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Limited 4x4
I have a HID kit laying around from an older Chevy truck which took a 9006 headlight bulb. My Explorer calls for a 9007 headlight bulb, can I use the 9006 kit I have? The 9006 and 9007 bulbs look identical but I dont want to mess anything up as far as power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

9006 is a single filament bulb, low beam.

9007 is a dual filament bulb, low and high beam.

If you use that bulb, you will have to figure out how to wire it up yourself, and you will only have a single beam.

Dual beam 9007 HID bulb replacements move the bulb slightly to work in high and low beam positions. A 9006 bulb's light source will be where the 9007 sits on high beams.

Also, plug and play HIDs in a stock halogen housing are stupid, blind other drivers, and DO NOT make it so you can see better. I could go into a long rant about optics and such, then say something about, "just because cops don't pull you over and people don't flash their headlights at you blah blah blah", but I am not going to. I've done it a dozen other times, and it never stops anyone from being stupid and using those.

Those PnP HIDs will make your truck look cheap, and no matter how much extra foreground light you get, and how hard you try and convince yourself, you will not have more visibility. If you want to put HIDs in your truck, either get aftermarket projector housings at a bare minimum, or retrofit a real HID projector into your headlights. There are threads in the Performance Lighting section that will tell you how to do it.

I see what your saying about the high and low beams, didnt think about that. I'm still trying to get use to Fords. The truck I had had two bulbs - one high beam and one low beam. Thanks for the semi rant!!!!

Those bulbs dont look anything alike... On a side note if you already have an aftermarket hid kit, Just order a new set of bulbs. 99% of the HID kits use the same plugs. Im a wholesale dealer of hid kits. Hit up hidnation.com and order a set of 9007 Bulbs... Should work fine! If you dont wanna deal with them. Lemme know, Im about to do a bulk order

Those bulbs dont look anything alike... On a side note if you already have an aftermarket hid kit, Just order a new set of bulbs. 99% of the HID kits use the same plugs. Im a wholesale dealer of hid kits. Hit up hidnation.com and order a set of 9007 Bulbs... Should work fine! If you dont wanna deal with them. Lemme know, Im about to do a bulk order

^^ Yeah, I should have told you that before as well. If you are set on using the HID kit, it is cheap as heck just to get the bulbs and not have to get the ballast and the rest of the kit. Though, you will still need the hardware to control the solenoid that switches bulb positions to high beam.

Someone tell me how to post a picture and I will post up a shot of the kit I have and we can go from there

Most of us use photobucket or some other type of image hosting service. Yes, the base of the bulbs will look somewhat similar, but I can guarantee to you that they are not the same.

Back