Problem with HID in fogs...

DefinitiveCars

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ex Sport
Hey guys,

I think a few of you have done HID's top and bottom. I just installed my new Kensun HID kits top and bottom. They were plug 'n' play. I was surprised that the installation doesn't require tapping the battery at all. I have a "plug 'n' play" HID kid for my BMW and you still had to tap the batt for power.

Well it seems that when you start up the car at night with the automatic lights on one of the fogs won't light up. If you turn the fogs off and then back on they will light up fine. You can turn them on and off after the car is running and everything is fine. But then when you turn the car completely off and then start the car again, one of them doesn't turn on again.

Seems like its the right one every time. But I thought the first time I
noticed it was the left. But since then seemed to be the right, so Im not
sure if I just mixed them up.

I'm thinking there is not enough power to start up all 4 HID at once. But I would think you guys would have the same problem as me if that was the case.

Did your kits tap the battery for power? Have you seen this before? Is there a solution?

Thanks,
D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking like I may need something like this "Relay Kit.

Hoping to hear from one of the guys who did this already.

D

Not to hijack your thread, but what bulb size are you using for the headlights?

I'm waiting on delivery of my 2013 and did not get the HID package but want to add them.

Email Kensen, I was getting 4 hour reply time when I was emailing them with questions.

I have been talking to them. They said they know of the issue but don't have a fix and its not the ballast. They are looking to see if they can find a solution.

Do you have Kenson top and bottom?

D

Oh hey, thanks! Because I didn't already look up the stock halogen and HID bulb numbers and see they were different....thus prompting my question.

Oh hey, thanks! Because I didn't already look up the stock halogen and HID bulb numbers and see they were different....thus prompting my question.

Sounds like you found your answer, but just in case, tops (mains) are HB3/9005's and Fogs are H11's. I also put Kensun's in mine, but did not do the fog lights (just mains) without issue.

Hey Matt, I saw you had already posted in other threads and knew what they were so I thought I'd issue you a little New Years joke!

D

Sounds like a ballast issue to me. Swap your ballast from the one that is causing the trouble with the ballast that is working properly and see if the problem moves to the other side.

HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlights are basically modern electronically managed Arc lamps

It is the igniters that are giving you issues. The igniters fire on initial turn on for a very short burst. They are what initiates the arc, if the arc isn't initiated... Nothing Happens.

Arc initiation requires a much higher voltage than arc maintenance, the ballasts are what maintain the arc once initiated - but they can't create the arc. (The gas has to get superheated before it becomes more conductive).

Since you are trying to initiate the arc while cranking the starter - your battery voltage is too low at the critical moment - after starting the car the voltage is OK.

Its also possible the arc does initiate with ignition on (before starting) but that the voltage during cranking drops low enough that the ballasts can't maintain the arc and it collapses. Once the arc collapses its the same deal - need to ignite it again to restore the arc.

All HID lights have this issue to some extent - but some may be better at handling lower voltages or may compensate (extend/delay ignition if source voltage is too low). Some also monitor the arc and will auto reignite if they detect it has collapsed.

So a few realistic options for you... given what you have

Get a better battery (or test to see if its a little weak -> replace) this will certainly happen worse cranking over a very cold engine when the battery is cold in winter.

Add local headlight relays - this may buy you a 1V or more improvement at the head/fog lights

Get a delay relay so the HID's only see power a second or two after headlight power comes on.

Alan

Thanks for te response Alan. Exactly what I figured at this point.

There is a relay harness that will get power straight from the battery just for the fogs. I have ordered this and will report back.

D

Thanks for te response Alan. Exactly what I figured at this point.

There is a relay harness that will get power straight from the battery just for the fogs. I have ordered this and will report back.

D

Did that relay harness work? I have a 2014 with the same problem.

I have had the same issue with my Kenson ps light. My ds always lights up. If I turn my lights off and on it will fire.

Ironically, I decided to go for a set of TRS (The Retrofit Source) lights. They highly recommend the relay setup for that exact reason. Somethings the small voltage being sent out to stock headlights will not always light up your light when you are doing your initial crank due to other voltage needs.

So, I am changing out my battery to a new Odyssey PC1750, which is supposed to be a pretty high-end powerful battery. After that, (this weekend), I am changing from Kenson to TRS with the relays. Should prove interesting.

Back