1997 HID in fog lights trouble? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 HID in fog lights trouble?

Hi, I'm kind of new to the forums still being that I never posted. I'm having trouble with an install in my friends 97 explorer. The headlight(4300k) install went through smoothly but the fog lights flicker and its becoming side dependent as if there is a voltage drop. They'll work as a pair then one will shut down and if I turn them of and back on then the opposite side will turn off and the other side will work. My only thing I'm questioning is that The kit I have did not come with a relay harness.

Both Headlights & foglights are 35w ballasts and 4300k bulbs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you probably need a harness.

Sounds to me like you have bad ballasts.... A friend is running a DDM 35W kit off his stock wiring with zero problems.

What type of kit did you get, something off of ebay? I'm having trouble with an old analog ballast that you'd typically find on ebay right now. Anything over 60 degrees it works fine, under it will take about 5-6 tries before it finally stays on.

Sounds to me like you have bad ballasts.... A friend is running a DDM 35W kit off his stock wiring with zero problems.

What type of kit did you get, something off of ebay? I'm having trouble with an old analog ballast that you'd typically find on ebay right now. Anything over 60 degrees it works fine, under it will take about 5-6 tries before it finally stays on.

Its a ebay kit. They claim they're digital ballasts. Its like I said in the initial post it switches sides. It starts off as one side and if you turn them off and back on then it switches to the other side. Its acts like the truck is CAN-Bus driven but its not. So, I going to attempt a relay harness. I have the same ballasts in my truck(01 XLT) no issues. But in my friends truck(97 XLT) Its different. I'm lost.

Its a ebay kit. They claim they're digital ballasts. Its like I said in the initial post it switches sides. It starts off as one side and if you turn them off and back on then it switches to the other side. Its acts like the truck is CAN-Bus driven but its not. So, I going to attempt a relay harness. I have the same ballasts in my truck(01 XLT) no issues. But in my friends truck(97 XLT) Its different. I'm lost.

A relay harness definitely won't hurt. maybe these ballasts are such power hungry amp ****** that it can't get the power it needs through the stock wiring...

You could always put his ballasts in your truck and see if they still act up.

had the exact same problem putting my 8000k HIDs in my fog lights in my 01 sport. Fixed it right quick with a relay harness.

http://bit.ly/yiKa86
^I think this is the exact one I got. There are cheapers out there, no doubt. Never had a problem with it though and the fogs fire up every time without showing favorites on sides

had the exact same problem putting my 8000k HIDs in my fog lights in my 01 sport. Fixed it right quick with a relay harness.

http://bit.ly/yiKa86
^I think this is the exact one I got. There are cheapers out there, no doubt. Never had a problem with it though and the fogs fire up every time without showing favorites on sides
Sorry for the late reply but the relay kit did the trick! TY:thumbsup:

Back