HID Install - Fogs +Pics

Motoarzan

Reaction score
City, State
Cambridge, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport 2014
Hi all
Well, I finally got an opportunity a few days ago to install the HID kit on my Fogs. For those who haven't already seen my step by step install for the HID headlights go to here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397594

Again I went with the Coolbulbs kit, G1B-H11 to replace the H11 halogens fogs.
As a reminder the headlights take a G1K-9005 kit.

-----------------------
FIRST OFF, THERE IS ONLY A LITTLE BIT OF ROOM TO REACH IN, UP, AND SWAP THE BULBS ON THE FOGS BUT I CHOSE TO REMOVE A COUPLE SCREWS SO I COULD PULL BACK THE FASCIA A LITTLE BIT AND GIVE ME MORE ROOM TO WORK WITH. FOR THE SAKE OF 5 EXTRA MINUTES I RECOMMEND DOING THIS TOO AND HAVING AMPLE ROOM OTHERWISE IT WILL BE A B!TCH TO GET IN THERE AND PROBABLY END UP TAKING YOU MORE TIME ANYWAY.

I'LL START WITH THE PASSENGER SIDE. DRIVER SIDE IS THE EXACT SAME ONLY THERE IS MORE ROOM IN BEHIND.

STEP#1 - JACK UP THE VEHICLE TO GIVE YOU SOME ROOM TO SQUEEZE UNDER THE BUMPER TO GET UP TO THE FOGS.
HID1_zpsb7d4e281.jpg

STEP#2 - CRANK THE WHEELS OUT TO ALLOW ROOM TO GET IN.
HID2_zpsd3ea3904.jpg

STEP#3 - REMOVE THE 2 SCREWS ON THE WHEEL WELL LINER.
HID4_zps48715449.jpg

STEP#4 - LOCATE AND REMOVE 3 SCREWS ON THE UNDERSIDE CORNER OF THE FASCIA TRIM.
HID3_zps01b9da56.jpg

STEP#5 - NOW WITH THE SCREWS OUT YOU CAN EASILY BEND BACK THE TRIM ALLOWING LOTS OF ROOM TO GET TO THE FOG LIGHT.
HID5_zpsdb313d47.jpg

STEP#6 - LOCATE THE OEM BULB, REMOVE THE HARNESS CONNECTOR, ROTATE BULB 90 DEGREES AND PULL OUT.
DSC07512_zps58f5a42c.jpg

STEP#7 - LAY OUT YOUR HID BULB & BALLAST KIT AND CONNECT ALL THE CONNECTORS EXCEPT FOR THE BLACK AND RED FLYING LEADS.
HID7_zpscbe67bec.jpg

STEP#8 - CAREFULLY INSERT THE HID BULB INTO THE FOG LIGHT HOUSING.
HID8_zps8a5de71f.jpg

STEP#9 - NOW TAKE THE BLACK AND RED FLYING LEADS AND JAM THEM INTO THE VEHICLE WIRE HARNESS CONNECTOR.
NOTE: SUPPOSEDLY THERE IS NO "FEMALE" H11 STYLE CONNECTOR AVAILABLE ON THE MARKET SO COOLBULBS CANT SUPPLY AN H11 KIT WITH A PLUG AND PLAY CONNECTOR THEREFORE YOU SIMPLY JAM THE LEADS INTO THE FACTORY MALE CONNECTOR AND TAPE THE CRAP OUT OF IT WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE. BEFORE YOU TAPE IT UP THOUGH, TEST THAT THE LIGHTS WORK AND YOU HAVE THE POLARITY CORRECT. IF THEY DON'T TURN ON REVERSE THE LEADS.
HID10_zps770d1066.jpg

STEP#10 - TAPE IT UP.
HID12_zpsb23591da.jpg

STEP#11 - TIE STRAP ALL YOUR WIRES AND CONNECTORS AND SECURE IT. NOTE: THERE REALLY ISN'T ANY GOOD LOCATIONS TO TIE STRAP THE BALLAST AND/OR IGNITER AND THE CURVATURE OF THE INNER WALL OF THE BUMPER DOESN'T ALLOW FOR THE DOUBLE SIDED TAPE TO STICK SECURELY. I JUST TEMPORARILY TIE-STRAPPED THE BALLAST TO THE UNDERSIDE OF THE WASHER FLUID CONTAINER AND IN THE SPRING WHEN I HAVE MORE TIME I PLAN TO DRILL A COUPLE SMALL HOLES IN THE TRIM ON THE INSIDE TO ALLOW A GOOD SECURE POINT TO TIE EVERYTHING DOWN. THE DRIVE SIDE ALSO DOESN'T HAVE ANY GOOD LOCATIONS EITHER.
DSC07553_zpscbf1cb39.jpg

STEP#12 - CHECK THAT YOUR LIGHTS WORK, POLARITY IS GOOD AND IF SO SCREW THE TRIM BACK IN PLACE AND REPEAT FOR THE DRIVER SIDE.

----------------------------------------
FOG LIGHTS - 8K HID VS OEM HALOGEN
6kfogvshalogen3_zps9c64e70a.jpg

DSC07537_zps58193ab2.jpg

6kfogvshalogen2_zps3383cbdb.jpg

THIS IS MY 6K HID HEADLIGHTS ON WITH THE FOG LIGHTS ON AS WELL (HALOGEN FOG ON LEFT AND 8K FOG ON RIGHT)
6kfogvshalogen6_zps17300257.jpg

8K FOG LIGHTS INSTALLED! KEEP IN MIND SOME PICS LOOK BRIGHTER THAN OTHERS ONLY BECAUSE PERHAPS MY CAMERA FLASH WENT OFF BUT YOU GET THE IDEA OF HOW THEY LOOK.
DSC07628_zps2fe8051d.jpg

8kfogsonly_zps54fca33b.jpg

DSC07626_zps9c7b5403.jpg

---------------------------------
6K HID HEADLIGHTS WITH HALOGEN FOGS VS 6K HEADLIGHTS WITH 8K HID FOGS.

6K HID HEADLIGHTS WITH OEM HALOGEN FOGS.
6kheadlightshalogenfogs_zps647b24a5.jpg

6K HID HEADLIGHTS WITH 8K HID FOGS.
8kfogsand6kheadlights_zps50612582.jpg

------------------------------------
ALL FINISHED
nastyweather_zps3ddcf140.jpg

DSC07642_zps2169154f.jpg

--------------------------------------
OTHER PICS
HEADLIGHTS ONLY - 6K HID VS OEM HALOGEN
6kvshalogenheadlight2_zps17ff5ec3.jpg

6kvshalogenheadlight4_zps16349f98.jpg

HEADLIGHTS ONLY - 6K HID VS 8K HID - YOU CAN SEE THE 6K IS MUCH BRIGHTER. YOU WILL ALSO NOTICE THAT THE 8K DOESN'T SPREAD OUT TO THE RIGHT AS MUCH BUT I BELIEVE THIS IS ONLY DUE TO THE ORIENTATION OF THE BULB IN THE HOUSING...SINCE I WAS ONLY TESTING THE COLOR DIFFERENCE I DIDN'T MATCH THE ORIENTATION WITH THE FILAMENT AT THE TOP LIKE I HAVE IT ON THE DRIVER SIDE.
6kvs8k2_zps498bdf45.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! Thanks for the write up. Because of your HID write up on the headlights I also ordered a set for the XSport. I cant wait to install them.

Looks great, I like the comparisons.
Have you or know anyone that has taken the HID headlight assembly and ballasts from a Limited and put it in a Sport? Are the wiring harnesses the same or compatible?

good write up, but pretty lazy of cool bulbs on the fog connector. My TRS foglight kit had plug and play connectors for the H11 bulbs. I'd recommend that route over just spade connectors and electrical tape.

Would it be better for the explorer fog lights to have a h11 or a h11b bulb?

This guide helped me out so much! I just changed out my fogs for 3000K for bad weather off road use. I have 302a so i didn't need to switch out my headlights and my factory headlights were bright to began with that the fogs did nothing i felt. Great writeup!

Good write up, i changed mine out with a DDMTuning kit. Been running their kits on my truck for over two years with zero problems. Just throwing it out for anyone who doesn't have the coin for an coolbulbs kit.
Also i'm kinda disappointed the coolbulbs doesn't have a quick connect for the fog. The DDMT kit is just like the headlights install.
On my fogs i also couldn't think of a good location to mount so i got the wires tight together then mounted the ballast on top of the frame itself.

photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg
1.jpg

Great write up. I just finished my install. I would like to add that the bulbs can only be inserted one way when it comes to the fog lights only. Two small stubs and one big stub make it simple to install.

The other addition to this thread is the fact you can clean the most upper portion of the front bumper and have an area that is relatively flat and capable of 3m taping the large and small transformers as depicted in the pictures. This is showing the passenger side looking up from the floor.

Overall it is a very easy install and some how I had the polarity correct on the first attempt on both sides! I am going to play the powerball tonight!

Good luck! Any questions let me know!

Buzz

(Bump) for my own reference.

Installing new ballasts to my fogs this coming week.

Anyone else having issues with the headlights or fogs? I already replaced my headlight ballasts/ignitors...Bulbs work just fine. This was after two years of good performance.

Not looking forward to getting into the wheel wells again. The headlight ballasts were simple to replace-no need to mess with the bulbs or its wiring near the reflectors. Simple clips.

Buzz

Seems the HID vs. OEM have quite the difference in the cut-off in the light pattern and being "cleaner". I prefer HID but wonder how this really affects real world use vs. seat of the pants. nice write up!

(Bump) for my own reference.

Installing new ballasts to my fogs this coming week.

Anyone else having issues with the headlights or fogs? I already replaced my headlight ballasts/ignitors...Bulbs work just fine. This was after two years of good performance.

Not looking forward to getting into the wheel wells again. The headlight ballasts were simple to replace-no need to mess with the bulbs or its wiring near the reflectors. Simple clips.

Buzz

Just replaced the FOG ballasts.

I think the reason why the fogs were intermittent is due to the fact of probably two issues. The first is that the white 3M double sided tape to hold the ballast in place failed and the unit as well as the ignitor box were laying against the fender well and dropped out when I removed it. I looked at the Step #9 and step #10 pictured reference by removing my decent tape job of holding those two bare wires in place. I noticed that one of the wires was barely in place. I retaped it and the fogs worked as designed.

So maybe the fact the not very tacky WHITE 3M tape failed and pulled on the bare wire/tape job once it fell and bounced around during a normal drive to make one of them lose contact.

I used RED 3M tape all over the back of the Ballast-three strips and 1 1/2 strips for the ignitor box. I also zip tied the wires once the two units were positioned onto the alcohol prepped fender well and used the little groove as a place to take most of the ballast and ignitors weight. The groove is very self explanatory once you have your head and a flashlight under there. To make sure there was no load being placed on those two bare wires I used zip ties to make sure that even if the ballast or ignitor come loose, it wont put strain on the bare wire/electrical taped area.

Hope this helps for first timers or people who are replacing parts like I did. Live and learn.

PS I did use RED 3M tape on the ignitor originally, but I think when the Ballast tape failed it put extra tension on the ignitor box which eventually fell off the fender well too.

Buzz

PPSS the old ballasts/ignitors worked most of the time. I am keeping them as a spare since I think nothing is wrong with them...Im guessing it was what I described above.

Been a while since anyone posted on this thread but I am having an issue and I'm not sure what to do here. I got an hid kit for the fog lights and installation was fine. I installed the passenger side and it worked fine and then installed the drivers side. When I went to test the lights only the driver's side worked, so I flipped the connector and then only the passenger side worked. Has anyone run into this and what do I need to do to fix it?

I should mention that the kit I got was from Kensun and it all plugged in fine, I did not have to remove the female connector to plug into the wiring harness. Do I need to do that in order to make it work properly?

Back