HID installation problem. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID installation problem.

Got my VVME HID kit delivered today.

Well I thought I would go ahead and test them out. So I plugged them in as the instructions stated. Not real difficult just matched up the connectors and went to turn them on and got nothing.
Tried both bulb sets with both ballasts and both headlight side. Nothing, not even a flicker.
I have read nothing but good things other than lengthy shipping at times from vvme. Any suggestions???

http://www.vvme.com/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the '02, yes, you will need 2 HID kits, the 9005 and 9006 if you want to do a full HID conversion. Since they are separate bulbs, however, you can leave your high beams as halogen and just convert your lows to HID if you wanted to.

At 42 bucks a pop, though, there's no reason not to convert both, considering you'll spend more then that on a pair of Silverstar bulbs.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Wonder why they did that with the explorers when the mountaineer doesn't have 2 bulbs? I'd do the main beam and fog lights vs. hi beams and low beams. I never use my high beams.

Use this link for all bulb replacements in your truck.

9006 lowbeam 9005 high beam. I personally wouldn't replace the high beams as you probably don't use them. If you do use them get them, but I'd do the fogs and main beams. The mydepot kit on ebay is decent especially for the money involved (very little.) I've had the h1 kit in my jag and the quality is good.

to anyone thats used this 42 dollar kit, how good is it? i want the 10000k kit, is it really that blue? where can i find this kit?

i looked up mydepot on ebay and he has no items for sale, maybe i didnt use the right search criteria?

to anyone thats used this 42 dollar kit, how good is it? i want the 10000k kit, is it really that blue? where can i find this kit?

i looked up mydepot on ebay and he has no items for sale, maybe i didnt use the right search criteria?

www.vvme.com is where I got my kit from. It cost $72 shipped.

The build quality is far superior to what I was expecting. The ballasts are solid and waterproof also the wiring and connectors are all top notch as well.

10000K is going to be very blue and you are going to loose light output.
6000K is pure white from the drivers seat but has a blue hue if you are looking at the car itself.

I only converted my low beams because I rarely use my high beams. Even so if you pay attention in the video I posted I turn on my high beams and the halogens over take the HIDs for the high sections. I really see no need to convert the highs.

how much light output do you lose with the 10000k? would you recommend 10000k or 8000k?

there is a good chart out there comparing the light output of the Kelvin scale but I am too tired to find it.

I like the 6000K because it's pure white. I don't like the color you get if you go any higher

Personally I wanted to stay white and have a hint of blue supplied by the projector but the 6k actually ended up having a bit more blue tint than I wanted but it looks great. Personally I'd get a 5k kit if the place you are looking has one.

These are both 6k kits...
IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

My buddy's bonneville with projector fogs and 6k kit. Can't find pics of his hid headlights.
frontshotwhiteandblue.jpg

lowersideshot.jpg

frontsidecloseupofonebulb.jpg

BTW I had a guy that bought an amp off of me with the newer civic and a 10k kit and it looked sweet because it was really blue but you could tell it was only for looks. I asked him how they were for visibility and he basically said he was better off with almost no headlight with that kelvin. Oh yeah and he wasn't very happy with the color because of that fact. If you want the blue look 8k would be the one to maintain some visibility but 6k is a better blend of both if you still want blue. Personally I just want something that looks good but mainly has excellent output.

If you want more visibility than stock go 6k and you won't be upset with the decision. 8k you may be upset but you never know. Personally though I'd go 6k I'll have to take some pics of my 6k's at night. My 6k look much more blue than the pics make them look. When I first bought my 6k I was upset because I thought they were too blue but once out on the road I was glad because they were more blue than the cadillac/bmw/mercedes hids that come stock. But once I splurge on hids for the mounty it will more than likely be a 4300k, but I also don't care about the blue just want better visibility and everyone to know they are hids! LOL

For now though I'm trying to lock in on a k&n cai with that guy that has his for sale on here...

loving my kit. bought 3 vvme kits so far. no problems with it. been running solid. sometimes the 6000k kind looks purple or blue. guess it depends on the housing.

i bought 2 VVME 10000k kits for my ex's low beams and fogs, they look absolutely amazing, i'm glad i didnt go with anything lower!

i bought 2 VVME 10000k kits for my ex's low beams and fogs, they look absolutely amazing, i'm glad i didnt go with anything lower!

You should see what 6k or 8k would look like...amazing with light output(more so with the 6k!)

ReinIse: all you need are HIDs for the low beams, its a waste of money to get them in both lows and highs. HIDs will be plenty bright in just the lows

Hid not working

Hey all,

I have a 2003 explorer Eddie B. I just bought a set of HID lights 9006 i hooked it up but nothing happens it won't turn on. Someone said to switch the polarity but how do i get those plastic ends off ? or do i need to get one of those direct wire relay kit? Please Help

I've heard where the hid manufacturer messes up and puts the + and - wires in the wrong spot. Do you have anything else you can test it with outside of using your connections to your car? Like an a/c to d/c power supply?

10,000K is extremely blue. 5500K is what I have in my 97 mounty and its almost pure white with a hint of blue. At 10.000K you're going to lose a lot of light output.

The cheap kits will work, mostly. I've probably bought 6 or 7 sets of cheap HIDs over the years and they've been hit or miss on working correctly.

You might want to consider spending a little extra money and getting a Morimoto or equivalent kit. Especially since (at least in mine) the headlights are such a pain to pull out. If you want to go that route, go to theretrofitsource.com

Back