HID kit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID kit

ok, so here is the deal. My roomate is selling his Accord, and getting a new Maxima. Anyway he has a set of HID lights, with D2R bulbs. I could buy them from him for like $300, which would include everything i need. However the bulbs are not 9007. Does anyone know if i can get a retrofit kit to fit these bulbs into my headlight housing? also, would this even work?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a 9007 kit for around $420. Personally, I'd pay the extra money and buy new, unless you can convince him to sell them cheaper ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the difference between the HID kit and the PIAA 9007 Super Whites?:bounce:

Originally posted by taxxman2k
What is the difference between the HID kit and the PIAA 9007 Super Whites?:bounce:
The real HIDs are alot brighter. I have PIAAs and they aren't much brighter than stock :eek:

so you can put the 9007s in without this HID kit

nope...if your refering to the 9007 HID retrofit bulbs...you need the ballasts....also if you check above, youll find a link for $382, for a HID kit...thats the one i ordered....also..whats the difference between HID's and PIAA lights??? its like night and day.. i had the superwhites, and my friend had an HID kit in his accord, and it was a huge difference in brightness...i should have pictures up on wed when i get it... :)

I see. Is it really a $400 difference? I guess maybe if I had a street ride I wouldn't want several lights... but since I don't I can buy a couple sets of PIAA off road lights for that.
To each his own.

ok, i got the HID's today and installed them...ill put some pictures up tomorrow....let me just say that pictures do not do these lights justice...they don't photograph very well....this is by far the most usefull thing i have purchased for my car...I changed one bulb first, and left my piaa superwhite in the other housing, and i was shocked...my piaa superwhites, which normally look white, were this ugly brownish yellow color compared to the HID's....not to mention the light output is amazing...i can see so much more....i had to turn my stock fogs off because they looked terrible with the HID's....time for new lower fogs....although my piaa 520's go perfect with the HID's...anyway it was $382 very well spent...ill ahve pics up tomorrow...

here are the pics....the other car there is my roomates ne Maxima SE...we took some pictures comparing his HID's to mine...plus he wanted some pics of his car...:D I included one or 2 of those so you could see how his stock HID's look....like i said, the HID's don't photgraph well..but if you look at the first picture you can kinda tell the color of the stock fogs...they are yellow compared to the HID's....the superwhites were nasty looking too compared to the HID's....I''ll just put these as links, because i don't feel like resizing them...they are huge....

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Diablo.....

Looks great! Looks like these HIDs are whiter than the Maxima HIDs based on what I saw in the second picture. What kind of hue do these HIDs give off? Does it have a bluish tint or a plurplish tint?

Also, could you post some pics of the install and how easy was the install itself? Just trying to get an idea on how much room is needed to install the ballasts even though I know my 02 probably has a different setup under the hood.

Can't wait to get mine!

well they are different bulbs than the maxima i think..they are D2S, and the maxima is D2R i think....as far as the tint....they light that comes out is pure white...however if you look at the headlights, they appear to be slightly bluish...especially when they first fire up...the installation was really simple...you just replace the bulb with the xenon bulb, and wire everything up to the ballast...the only problem i found, was that the ground for the lights wasn't enough to get the lights to fire, so i had to ground it to a bolt on the chassis....then they fired off fine...i tie wrapped the ballasts near to where the headlight housing is...illl see if i can take pictures...eaglelight gives you a great installation kit..makes it really easy..The ballasts are pretty small, so i don't think youll have trouble finding a place for them...now just gotta find a way to get this thing to pass inspection without taking these bulbs out...they were a pain to get in without touching....

Diablo3305

I was thinking about getting the HID conversion for my truck too. I had some questions about the conversion before I actually buy it. Where do you plug the harness which plugged into the back of the original 9007 bulb? What happens if you accidentally hit the high beams since you lose them? Is there a lot of stray light since the explorer comes with plastic light housing? Thanks

Re: Diablo3305

Originally posted by aqs789
I was thinking about getting the HID conversion for my truck too. I had some questions about the conversion before I actually buy it. Where do you plug the harness which plugged into the back of the original 9007 bulb? What happens if you accidentally hit the high beams since you lose them? Is there a lot of stray light since the explorer comes with plastic light housing? Thanks

1. They give you these 2 metal prongs, that plug into the holes on the factory headlight harness....there is 3 slots on there, you only use 2 of them (1 is brights)

2. If you hit your high beams, the HID"s will just shut off, and come back on when you turn your high beams off.

3. I will admit, the beam pattern is alittle odd, since the housings are really designed for these lights, however they are rather focused....but there really isn't much stray light....

diablo.....

Do you have the option on which type of bulb in the HID kit or it is only the D2S, which I understand does not have the black paint in certain areas of the bulb, like the D2R, to focus the beam in the right direction.

It looks like midnightmoose.com is out of stock on the 9006 and is on backorder. Anybody know of other reputable sites that carry the Eaglite HID conversion kit for a comparable price of $382?

well it does have the black part on it..not sure if it focuses it right..remember, these housings are not really designed for HID's, so you will get a weird beam pattern..but it focuses the light pretty good from what i can see...

Back