HID kit, H1 bulbs, 98-01 foglights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID kit, H1 bulbs, 98-01 foglights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a HID install almost a year ago in my '99 and it was dead easy to do with 9007 application and the headlights. The HID bulbs pretty much plug into the same place the 9007 halogens would. Simple. For those with fogs on their 98-01 Explorers (except the '01 Sport which has different fogs I think), I'd like your input (or also from those that have worked with these fogs and are familar with them).OEM fogs (these are the round ones) take the H1 bulb. The bulb itself sits in a spring-loaded socket which is part of a plug-like piece which ratchets into the fog enclosure. Power to the bulb originates in the base of the plug. (sorry, no photos at present).

I'm thinking of putting some HIDS in the fog enclosure. It's a pretty tight fit in there and I'm just not seeing how the HID bulbs will fit in the socket without some big modifications to the plug itself. I want to be able to restore the fogs to stock if needed so drilling the heck out of the existing plug/socket is not really an option. Outside of getting my hands on some new sockets, does anyone have any ideas? I was at the dealer about 2 weeks ago on an unrelated issue with the fogs, and they do not sell the sockets by themselves (does anyone have some that they'd want to part with?). They would only sell me the entire foglight assembly which is not a cost-effective solution. If I were able to get my hand on the sockets themselves, I'd be laughing, but I haven't seen anything of the sort on eBay. Just entire assemblies as well.

I've got a photo below of the actual HID kit I'm interested in and of the H1 bulb setup. I welcome your input on what options I might have. I really liked the plug and play element to the 9007 application and don't want to mess with the fogs too much. This plug/socket holds the stock H1 in place securely. The wiring etc from the HID bulb just wouldn't mount properly as it stands now.

Thanks in advance.

H1-HID-2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have to go to a junk yard to get the sockets. Or perhaps NAPA (maby). Then you should make sure that the elements on the bulbs line up at the same depth in the fog lense. Then you may find that you just get a big blob of light because the fog lenses just cant handle the brightness of the HID bulbs. HIDs in fogs are problematic because the optics of the fog lenses & bodies are not as good as headlights.
The only sure way I know, is to convert a Hella Micro DE to HID w/H-3 bulb. Its a projector lense that does well w/HID. Just going to need a lot of Duct Tape to seal it up. Been there-done that...

Bill:

Thanks for the insight re: light issues. I didn't really think about that. I am pretty sure I'd need to get my hands on the sockets to make this work. I'm not even sure if it's a meaningful mod. I get decent light out of the halogens. I figured it would give me a bit of colour match with the headlights.

I read somewhere that the H1 bulbs (HIDS) are a lot longer than halogens which may cause me some grief as you mentioned in your post.

Much appreciated.

Maybe I am just tired, but I dont understand what it is that you are asking. You want to know if H1 HIDs will fit into the stock fog housings? I used to have HIDs in my fogs, and I dont remember there being any installation problems. I removed the lights when I had my prerunner bumper, and havent put them back together since I re-installed the bumper. And, the HID kit was sold with my Range Rover.

EDIT: I did splice the power wire from the fogs to a connector to hook to the ballast. They were grounded individually to the frame by way of self tapping screw.

The HID bulbs all seem to be about the same length. The filiment or bright spot is different lengths from the base or the base is shimed to put the bright spot where a halogen filiment would be on a coresponding bulb (h-3 or h-1 ect.) I have not tryed it on a reflector type fog lense because at some of the HID forums I've read where peps have done it and got just a blob for a light pattern and lots of glare. A Hella DE would fit in the X opening and is a good light to mod. Plus you can get yellowish 2300K HIDs now. Which I am thinking about doing since I have a 6000K+ type bulb in the Hellas now & it sucks. Even bluish HID "rain fades" and isnt very good for seeing.

The HID bulbs all seem to be about the same length. The filiment or bright spot is different lengths from the base or the base is shimed to put the bright spot where a halogen filiment would be on a coresponding bulb (h-3 or h-1 ect.) I have not tryed it on a reflector type fog lense because at some of the HID forums I've read where peps have done it and got just a blob for a light pattern and lots of glare. A Hella DE would fit in the X opening and is a good light to mod. Plus you can get yellowish 2300K HIDs now. Which I am thinking about doing since I have a 6000K+ type bulb in the Hellas now & it sucks. Even bluish HID "rain fades" and isnt very good for seeing.

My H1's were physically shorter than my 9007's. They had a pretty good light output with the 12000k's I had.

Maybe I am just tired, but I dont understand what it is that you are asking. You want to know if H1 HIDs will fit into the stock fog housings? I used to have HIDs in my fogs, and I dont remember there being any installation problems.

My point is that they will not simply plug into the stock sockets/plugs. The shape of the bulb just doesn't allow it. I'd need to get some new sockets to hold the bulbs in place. I'd rather not cut/drill the OEM setup just in case I went back to stock.

Late to this thread

My point is that they will not simply plug into the stock sockets/plugs. The shape of the bulb just doesn't allow it. I'd need to get some new sockets to hold the bulbs in place. I'd rather not cut/drill the OEM setup just in case I went back to stock.

Celly,
I know I am very late on this thread but I am new to this forum and would like to know how your HID's for your Fog Lights turned out? How did you do it?
I have a kit that looks just like your picture and I am wondering what to do about it. I been thinking of getting new sockets and modifying them.

Thanks

Everyone, 9006 bulbs will go right into the stock HID houseings without a hitch and do produce a correct light beam. I did this, i had the same problem...ordered the kit in H1s and was screwed...i did a little playing around and found that 9006s work great!

FROM NOW ON ORDER YOUR FOGLIGHT KITS IN 9006!

what size bulbs are the for the fogs for the 01 sport

9006? That is interesting

Everyone, 9006 bulbs will go right into the stock HID houseings without a hitch and do produce a correct light beam. I did this, i had the same problem...ordered the kit in H1s and was screwed...i did a little playing around and found that 9006s work great!

FROM NOW ON ORDER YOUR FOGLIGHT KITS IN 9006!

Hey thank for the tip CobraSVT1184,
I have to see if I can return the kit I have now for the 9006. I hope I can if not I will be doing some mods I guess.

Great Idea

you can just buy new bulbs so then u dont have to pay to return the kit, shipping

Shortstack
Great idea. I will do that, I mounted the ballisters already and I don't really want to take them out,
Thanks

When i put my 9006s in i was able to turn them a little due to the wire from the HID...all i did was used some silcone to reasure em from falling out. If you dont wanna use silicone you can get away with sticky puddy too...ive used it too haha.

When i put my 9006s in i was able to turn them a little due to the wire from the HID...all i did was used some silcone to reasure em from falling out. If you dont wanna use silicone you can get away with sticky puddy too...ive used it too haha.

Sound like a plan for me.
Thanks for the info.

2000 Explorer HID Fog Lights

Ok I got it done.
I got 9006 HID bulbs and modified my stock bulb sockets. I modified the sockets only because the diameter at the o-ring part on the 9006 is more narrow compared to the stock socket. I found with modifying the stock socket I was able to put the 9006 into the stock socket using it as a ring. See photos.

To top it off I added a bead or silicone before putting the 9006 into the stock socket to make sure it would seal better though I made sure I did not grind it out to much so it does have a tight fit.

I will install it later and and take some picture when I have more time.
I hope this was helpful.

z2.jpg

z3.jpg

z4.jpg

z1.jpg

Last part of my mod

As you can see in the picture the the stock bulb socket I modified went right back in place. Turned and locked in place no problems.

The 9006 bulb sits perfect right in back of the housing

I hope this info was helpful.

DSCF0865.jpg

Yellow HID Fog lights

02.jpg

01.jpg

00.jpg

:D

thats awesome. so for the retarted people on here (just me :) ) you should right out a parts list.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats awesome. so for the retarted people on here (just me :) ) you should right out a parts list.

First I must thank (CobraSVT1184) for his advice on the 9006 kit.

Ok here is what I used.

9006 bulbs or kit.
Dremel tools if have. (Thats what I used)
Silicone (Permatex Ultra Black)

Modified stock fog light bulb sockets to make just a ring. See images in previous post. #16 I used a dremel tool to cut and smooth out the socket but make sure you don't reem out to much from the stock socket. Try to keep it a tight fit when you put in the 9006 bulb into the stock socket.

I would recommend doing a test fit first by putting the 9006 bulb into the modified socket without silicone then try to place it in the fog light to make sure it will line up correct and lock in place. Make note of how the 9006 and the stock socket tabs are lined up so when you silicone them together it will line up when you do the final installation. I found that with the smallest tap on the stock socket will be placed at about 12 O-Clock position in the fog light. And the white part of the 9006 bulb is near the 6 O-Clock position. Sorry I don't know what the white part of the HID is called but you will see it in the pictures posted. Main reason to do the test is to make sure you will be able to turn and lock it in place like putting in a stock bulb.

Silicone time, Put a bead of silicone around on the O-ring on the 9006 bulb. Don't forget to make sure the tabs are where they should be when you did the test fit.

And for the end, Let dry over night then install and enjoy.

I would be careful with modifying the stock socket and make sure you don't crack it. I say this because here in Hawaii I found out from the ford dealer that I could not buy just the bulb socket for the fog light. I would have to purchase the whole fog light assembly. Or find it in a junkyard.

My errors I had was I bought the H1 kit and found out like in the first post that it would not be a plug n play deal.
Then thanks to CobraSVT1184 for recommending the 9006 kit I found this way of modifying to work with the 9006 to be perfect fit.

I hope this was helpful
Good Luck

Boboz1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back