HID kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID kit

ok, so here is the deal. My roomate is selling his Accord, and getting a new Maxima. Anyway he has a set of HID lights, with D2R bulbs. I could buy them from him for like $300, which would include everything i need. However the bulbs are not 9007. Does anyone know if i can get a retrofit kit to fit these bulbs into my headlight housing? also, would this even work?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if they are 9004's you can modify them to fit the 9007 spot, they plug in the same. they just have a locating notch in a different spot. 5 minutes with a file should take care of that problem.

they are 9006's...i talked to a few place and retrofiting them would be a *****, so i might either try to find a set of bulbs for cheap, or I found a 9007 retrofit kit for $380...might do that...not sure...expensive...:rolleyes:

where did you find it for 380?

That's a deal right there. Does anyone have a list of the state-by-state legalities of these lights?

they are illegal because htey are aftermarket...but you won't have a problem with them...because alot of cars have them these days...

the only legal HID conversion ones are the ones from sylvania... but they dont make it for explorers. the hid kits on the market now are illegal, but cops will most probably not pull you over due to all the xenon or hyper white bulbs out there. you might have to aim the HID lights a bit lower, because of the wider range of light dispersal, but otherwise, im sure they will just figure you put in some different bulbs and will not pull you ove.r good luck

one more thing.. if you do get pulled over, im sure you can just purchase a pair of DOT approived xenon or hyper white bulbs and just show them the box.. saying you installed those and they are DOT legal. ? just a though

thats not really why they are illegal..its because of the way they are installed...they are required to have a mechanism that disconnects the power if your in an accident...aftermarket HIDS" do not have this... i seriously doubt you will be pulled over, because HID"s in and of themselves are fine...so basically youd be fine...

I have had my kit in for quite some time now and I have never had any touble. I don't see any problems as long as you aim them properly.

Now, one thing is that it is very important to get the correct bulb for your vehicle. This is due to the bulb, it has black nontransparent areas that block the light from going where it sould not be. Then the light is still in the same place it was when the stock bulb was used. If not the light would be reflected everywhere or the wrong way.

well i just ordered the kit...came to like 382 something...a bit expensive, but the light from HID's is so much brighter...i should have them in in about a week....now to take back these silverstars that i bought... :)

Hi All:

We purchased on 02 Explorer 4WD Limited with V8 and am very interested in purchasing an HID conversion kit to replace the halogens. The 02 Explorer have a separate low and high beam (9006/9005). Any recommendations on any available conversion kits. I checked out the Eaglite with the posted link above. Looks pretty good. Also came across another kit on autotoys.com at Dead Link Removed

Anyone installed the conversion kit from autotoys. It has a separate ballast/starter and igniter. Just trying to make a decision on the two conversion kits based on quality, light output, and ease of installation. Also, what about the color scale? What color are some of the current car/trucks out there, for example:

Acura (02 TL)
Lexus (02 ES300, RX300)
BMW (01-02 3 series and 5 series)
Audi (A4, A6, TT)
Nissan (02 Maxima SE, 02 Altima SE)

diablo, let us know how it goes afterwards, and be sure to post pics

if the 02 has a separate light bulb for low and high,,, you might have to buy two HID kits.. one for low and one for high. but they might come out with a special kit for 02 later on. but from what i hear.. if you have HID, you wont need high beams.

Originally posted by espnfreak
diablo, let us know how it goes afterwards, and be sure to post pics

will do...supposedly its really easy...i don't mind losing the high beams...i have piaa driving lights to take care of that...the only real problem will be inspection, but ill just take them out for inspection, and replace them after...ill post pics later this week when they are installed...

Originally posted by 2002limited
Hi All:

We purchased on 02 Explorer 4WD Limited with V8 and am very interested in purchasing an HID conversion kit to replace the halogens. The 02 Explorer have a separate low and high beam (9006/9005). Any recommendations on any available conversion kits. I checked out the Eaglite with the posted link above. Looks pretty good. Also came across another kit on autotoys.com at Dead Link Removed

Anyone installed the conversion kit from autotoys. It has a separate ballast/starter and igniter. Just trying to make a decision on the two conversion kits based on quality, light output, and ease of installation. Also, what about the color scale? What color are some of the current car/trucks out there, for example:

Acura (02 TL)
Lexus (02 ES300, RX300)
BMW (01-02 3 series and 5 series)
Audi (A4, A6, TT)
Nissan (02 Maxima SE, 02 Altima SE)

damn...if i had known this like 3 days ago, i could have gotten you a kit for $300...my roomate just sold his, but it was 9006...oh well...i think the eaglelite ones i posted are the best deal around...

Diablo...

Not that it really matters since your roomate sold his HIDs, what brand HIDs did he have? Eaglites also? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no, he got them from Pheonix microlite...they were modified philips bulbs...

Back