HID kit, H1 bulbs, 98-01 foglights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID kit, H1 bulbs, 98-01 foglights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a HID install almost a year ago in my '99 and it was dead easy to do with 9007 application and the headlights. The HID bulbs pretty much plug into the same place the 9007 halogens would. Simple. For those with fogs on their 98-01 Explorers (except the '01 Sport which has different fogs I think), I'd like your input (or also from those that have worked with these fogs and are familar with them).OEM fogs (these are the round ones) take the H1 bulb. The bulb itself sits in a spring-loaded socket which is part of a plug-like piece which ratchets into the fog enclosure. Power to the bulb originates in the base of the plug. (sorry, no photos at present).

I'm thinking of putting some HIDS in the fog enclosure. It's a pretty tight fit in there and I'm just not seeing how the HID bulbs will fit in the socket without some big modifications to the plug itself. I want to be able to restore the fogs to stock if needed so drilling the heck out of the existing plug/socket is not really an option. Outside of getting my hands on some new sockets, does anyone have any ideas? I was at the dealer about 2 weeks ago on an unrelated issue with the fogs, and they do not sell the sockets by themselves (does anyone have some that they'd want to part with?). They would only sell me the entire foglight assembly which is not a cost-effective solution. If I were able to get my hand on the sockets themselves, I'd be laughing, but I haven't seen anything of the sort on eBay. Just entire assemblies as well.

I've got a photo below of the actual HID kit I'm interested in and of the H1 bulb setup. I welcome your input on what options I might have. I really liked the plug and play element to the 9007 application and don't want to mess with the fogs too much. This plug/socket holds the stock H1 in place securely. The wiring etc from the HID bulb just wouldn't mount properly as it stands now.

Thanks in advance.

H1-HID-2.jpg

No problem man, believe it or not i was able to just slap a 9006 bulb right in place on my stock fogs...no modification at all...i did however put some silicone behind it to hold the bulb in securely.

Ive been thinking about takeing the 4300k bulbs outta my foglight projections and putting in 3000ks for the yellow...i think it looks awesome..thanks for the pics buddy.

No problem man, believe it or not i was able to just slap a 9006 bulb right in place on my stock fogs...no modification at all...i did however put some silicone behind it to hold the bulb in securely.

Ive been thinking about takeing the 4300k bulbs outta my foglight projections and putting in 3000ks for the yellow...i think it looks awesome..thanks for the pics buddy.

I was thinking about just trying to fit the 9006 in the housing but it bothered me that the diameter of the 9006 at the o-ring part was more narrow compared to the stock socket. Since I had the stock socket all drilled out for the H1's that I first had I figure no sense let it go to waste so I just reemed it out more to fit the 9006 in the stock socket. :D

No probs for the pics I will try and get some from in car view when I get the chance.

I called my buddy up and hes sendin me my yellow HID foglight bulbs...should have em tommorrow and ill post up a few pics of what they look like in a projector.

I just got the bulbs in and installed them...i will take pictures tonight of how they look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back