hid problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hid problem

i went for a road trip and on the trip one of my head lights went out so i figured onc ei got to my desination i would get the hids i have wanted for a while now..all went well excpet on thing..in my 1996 ford explorer limited it tells me on that console display when soemthign goes wrong..so on here it said check head lamps when my bulb burnt out..ok so problem but now with the hids in it still reads that and beeps ..butitonly happens if i turn my hids on after i have started the truck..i i turn them on and then start it..it doesnt come on telling me..but then once i turn them on it comes up telling me the check head lamps...i got the hids with the day time running lights and it all works fine..except or this..so is there a way i can "by-pass" this or any cure that you guys know of..or jsut live with it thats how it is..thank you.

That's an issue with 95-96 Explorers with the Message Center if I recall the years correctly. I don't have the issue with my '99. I'm pretty sure it relates to the fact that standard HID kits take less wattage than their halogen counterparts. Hence when the system senses the lower wattage, it tells you the light is out.

There is this thread discussing a fix. I hope that helps.

yea i had a feeling it would be with the voltage levels..thank you veyr much for the help. ill go chekc that post right now.

Most likely, when you installed the HID, you also installed a harness that connects to ONE of the OEM headlight connectors in order to activate relays. The LOM (lamps out module) under your message center will ony "see" one headlight so it sends you the error message. I ran into this when I installed a heavy duty harness in my Limited.

One mod that you can use to bypass the message is by following the procedure outlined in this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233458

Back