HID Projector 04 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Projector 04 Explorer

I used to have a 2007 Mazda 3 with HID projector headlights. I miss the HID, and would like them on the 04 Explorer. I've been doing a lot of reading on the topic, but honestly, I'm a little confused. Based on my reading it looks like I will have to do a retrofit. There are lots of options like morimoto, fx-35, etc. I don't know what's good and what's bad. What should I be looking for? What are the trade offs? I'm still trying to get up to speed on this topic.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are some daytime pictures.

Everything OFF:
EverythingOFF-FullFront.jpg

EverythingOFF.jpg

EverythingOFF-Close-up.jpg

Parking Lights ON:
ParkingLightsON.jpg

ParkingLightsON-Clsoe-up.jpg

Turn Signal ON:
TurnSignalON.jpg

Parking Lights and Turn Signal ON:
ParkingLightsandTurnSignalON.jpg

ParkingLightsandTurnSignalON-Close-up.jpg

HID (Low Beam) and Parking Lights ON:
HIDLowBeamandParlkingLightsON.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few more (night shots), before I get officially accused of hijacking your thread :)

Night-ParkingandTurnSignalONClose-up.jpg

Night-ParkingLightsON.jpg

Night-ParkingLightsONFullFront.jpg

A few more (night shots), before I get officially accused of hijacking your thread :)
Looks Great :thumbsup: I asked you to post pics, so I don't think anyone is going to accuse you of hijacking this thread. ;)
Did you ever consider mounting the 54-LED in shroud instead of the 2 LED rings? I wonder if that would be too overpowering inside the housing.

I don't know that the 54-LED ring would work out that much better for a "backlit" approach. For one thing, it seems to only be available as an 80mm ring, so that would have to sit pretty much were my dual-ring assembly sits now. From the night pics above, you can see where it only reflects into a small portion of the reflector. It would throw more light, but concentrated into a small area. Another other potential issue is that it is only sold with the difuser ring. I don't use one for the dual-ring setup, so I don't know how much intensity loss that difuser would create. Lastly, the Mini H1 has a slightly wider projector bowl (more oval) than the D2S, so that may bring the ring even closer to the rear of the reflector.

One possibility would be a 100mm true CCFL ring (like this one: http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/the-213/ANGELEYE-HALO-CCFL-WHITE/Detail). It may be time to start messing with CCFL. It would fit neatly inside an Apollo shroud, giving both forward and backlit effects. It wouldn't have the BMW look, which I personally think should stay on a BMW, so that's ok in my book. The Mini H1 also has a more open lens bracket than the D2S, so some of the light might also reflect in the projector's bowl.

Hmmm... I do have a set of H1 projectors, bulbs and Apollo shrouds, and enough butyl left. I might even have the right ballasts laying round. I smell a possible winter project...

headlight assemblies

Divemaster,

I'm looking at TYC, Eagle Eyes, or Depo headlight assemblies for the retrofit. Have you worked with any of these? Any opinion as to one over another?

Thanks

On the X, I've only used Eagle Eyes, including the current retro. They work for me, easy to open, seem to be good quality and fit, packaging is good (never had a damaged assembly). I have not had any issue with "stuff" not lining up or mismatched.
Depo has a decent reputation, and I used them on my 2000 BMW a couple of years ago (no retro, just the outer lens). Again, no packaging issue, and the fit was perfect. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Depo is actually a manufacturer for quite a few OEM parts, not just aftermarket (don't quote me on that, memory is the 2nd thing to go with old age).
I don't know anything about TYC.

Has anybody done a full step by step walk through on how to retrofit projectors? I want to put projectors on my 02 explorer sport, but havent been able to find a full and highly detailed guide on how to do it.

Although it is possible, it is not very likely that someone has documented exactly what you're looking for. There are a lot of variables involved, such as which projector, which shroud, which vendor, oem vs. aftermarket, etc... You more likely will have to compile your own How To from various threads, picking bits of info here and there. You could also start a thread: I want to put XYZ projector in a 20?? Explorer, and you will get quite a few responses (and opinions!) for just about every step of a retrofit.

icepick, did you ever get this project done?

icepick, did you ever get this project done?

Unfortunately not. I haven't been on this site in a long time. Weather is warming up and I started working on it again just this evening. Any specific questions?

Hello all, this may be a silly question but can I retro fit my fog lights to these projector lights?

I have a 2004 Ex and I do need them for country driving, ocassionaly, so I don't need it all the time.

Hello all, this may be a silly question but can I retro fit my fog lights to these projector lights?

I have a 2004 Ex and I do need them for country driving, ocassionaly, so I don't need it all the time.

Those would be to big for fog lights. However, there is a retrofit kit for fog lights sold by The Retrofit Source and is called blazer HID foglight retro kit.

Back