HID Projector Retrofit - Phase II | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Projector Retrofit - Phase II

I think I finally have a shroud that I can use for the retrofit (for background info, see HID Projector Retrofit - Phase i).

Final product:

ShroudinHeadlightAssembly-Side.jpg

It started with this form on a vacuum table:

VacuumTableForm-Front.jpg

The odd looking assembly on the left is intended to provide clearance for the Up/Down adjustment arm, with some visual details for fun. The other odd looking piece on the bottom is intended to provide clearance for the High Beam actuation mechanism in the projector.

I used 12"x12" Black ABS Thermoform Plastic sheet ($30 for a pack of 12 at WidgetWorks). About 3 min in the oven at 325F, then onto the vacuum table:

ShroudonVaccumTable-Top.jpg

A little bit of Dremel work to get a rough idea of what the final product looks like:

Shroud-RoughTrim-Front.jpg

Shroud-RoughTrim-Top.jpg

And this is what it looks like in the headlight assembly:
Headlight-Front.jpg

Headlight-Side.jpg

Phase III starts today: building a custom set of Angel Eyes, to fill the void around the projector (looks a little naked right now, I think) and provide a little visual bling...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good keep up good work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I'm finally done. Just a few quick shots since the process (ordeal!) has been pretty well documented. I've done away with the large Audi-style LED strip and went for a 9-LED white strip to mirror the 9-LED orange strip. That will be the parking light, the orange one will get tied to turn signal. I've got a ton more detailed pics, but don't want to bore anyone... Now I can move on to Phase III: the actual installation.

Bare shroud:
Shroud-Front.jpg

Bare shroud with "bling" ring:
Shroud-FrontwithRing.jpg

Installed, before installing the LED strips:
Installed02.jpg

With lens, LEDs off:
LensInstalled-LEDsoff.jpg

With lens, LEDs on:
LensInstalled-LEDson.jpg

With lens, Orange LED on only:
LensInstalled-BottomLEDonnoflash.jpg

With lens, White LED on only:
LensInstalled-TopLEDonnoflash.jpg

This is just me. But I love the Audi style strip, the orange LEDs, not a big fan of them being on all the time would be great to have those for front turn signals, and the Audi style strip as you're running light IMHO

guessing by now you finished but i like his ^^ idea but i think it would set it off if u added the same hidden leds to the blues as you did the ambers

ah yes seen the thread before didn't check if it was the same person, is you temp low to make the headlights yellowish to correspond with the oranges you have on in that pic

ah yes seen the thread before didn't check if it was the same person, is you temp low to make the headlights yellowish to correspond with the oranges you have on in that pic

I'm not sure what you're asking. The pics were taken with a cheap Point-and-Shoot camera... The Park/Turn light is a switchback LED, while the ring on the projector is an LED ring with a difuser. They're about the same "shade" of yellowish orange.

i dont own a fourth gen in the thirds the lower light (which yours is orange) is the high and i was wondering if you have 3k lights as to make the lows look similar to the total package if that makes any more sense

I didn't know the 3rd Gen had a separate High and Low beams. In the 4th Gen, the High and Low is one unit. The lower light is the Park and Turn combination. So I basically have 2 turn signal lights: the lower light and the LED ring around the High/Low projector. I also have 2 park lights: the lower light and a hidden LED ring inside the projector's shroud, but facing backwards into the original halogen reflector. Since I'm using a switch back LED, the lower light stays white until the turn signal is activated, at which point the LED is amber. The HID is 4300K.

Back