Retrofit hid projector on 08 explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Retrofit hid projector on 08 explorer

Hi there just wondering can you retrofit an 08 explorer with hid projectors. The guy who installed my hids said that ford is the only brand that you can't open the headlghts because ford uses some crazy silicon. and the headlight would crack or something. Any help is greatly apprecated.

The good thing about the G3 and G1 is that you can just "drop them in" without cutting so it should be a quicker installation. That would allow me to buy a second set later if I didn't feel like pulling them apart again to go back to OE prior to bringing my X in for service.

Also, can go back to OE without any problem... other than having to re-heat to pull the lenses off, but still doable.

Oh well, guess I really need to think about this. I think I can get some FX-R projectors for $175-200 on eBay. Plus another $100-150 for OE housings to have as spares. Plus the cost of the HIDs I already bought (guess I don't need to count those since I already bought them, but I will for sake of total cost). Total is about $365 - $440 not including personal time.

I still want to do it, but will need to save up some cash to probably go all in on this project.

Yea it is pretty expensive... But regardless of if you go with the G1/G2/G3 or some OEM/other projector, you wont be disappointed :D The only thing that seems to be needed to be removed is the, I'm not even sure what to call it thingy that basically is directly in front of the bulb, that I can only assume helps to direct some of the light? but I believe that is only held on by a screw, i remove it buy drilling around it hahahaha. Its basically up to you how much time/money/effort that you want to dedicate to the project now, since regardless of what you choose it will greatly improve your headlights. good luck! :thumbsup: if you need any help, I'll see what I can do.

I have a 07 Explorer and I spoke to Matt on your recommendation, definitely a VERY knowledgable guy!! I already had an HID kit installed from before and yes it blinded others. So Matt set me up with a custom kit to retro fit my headlights. While I have them apart, I plan on painting black bc I have an all black explorer and I like the look. I also did purchase those projector foglights from ebay and am awaiting arrival. I spoke directly to the manufacturer and the rep said you can run HID bulbs in them as long as you have the ballasts and everything already (which I do for my fogs as well). He did say make sure you buy an H3 HID bulb bc thats what they run...and to make sure you dont use some cheap bulb too bc if it runs hotter than stock halogen it'll melt the housing.. so after I retro fit the headlamps and install the new projector fogs, I'll post some pics to give those some idea of how it looks...

I heated mine on my 06 for about 3-5 mins (cant remember now) at around 300 degrees I popped them open dug out the old **** custom painted them inside and resealed with black silicone. NO leaks its been about 6 months.

Back