HID Retro (How to) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Retro (How to)

Have anyone did a retro/conversion on a 95-99 headlight unit. I was over at HIDPLANET.com and it seems that everyone is doing a retro by putting projectors inside of OEM housing, then installing the HIDs in that. They said thats the only RIGHT way to do it. The those kits you can buy off E-bay is not the best way to get HID lighting(legally). So what is there to do.....

I was planing to buy a 4300k,5300k or a 6000k kit- but I want to do it right so I dont run into no legal problems.
Which is the best kit.....etc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I just use a 9007 HID bulb in my diamond cut headlights would that be legal or safe? They sell the HID 9007 bulbs online with balasts and all that good stuff but do I need a projector?

Yes, you would need the projector housing or the light will scatter all over the place. You would have to aim your head lights down to prevent some glare to on-coming traffic. The projector retro will be the legal way of doing it, but who follows the law.

I havent seen them(HID) in a diamond cut lense. The 9007 type bulb is prone to being a glare producer that offendes oncomming drivers. I guess theres only one way to find out..go for it.
Also I just noticed the other lighting forum has moved. http://faqlight.carpassion.info/forum/

Putting HIDs in a standard housing is going to be a real annoyance to other drivers due to the uncontrolled beam. I can tell you, in the GP world, and similar husky... The GP guys like using BMW projectors as a retrofit into the stock housing and they have had good success.

Well I guess getting one of those 9007 plug and play kits is out of the picture. ill just have to comb through some junk yards and see if i can find a projector housing... or just buy one.

I have a pair of projectors from a BMW X5 for this purpose. I was going to do the HID retrofit but then ran into money issues so I had to sell off some things. I still have the projectors up for sale. They are in great shape, except one of the bulb holders has a tab broken off but it shouldn't affect anything whatsoever. There is another user on the board that has done the HID retrofit with these exact projectors, and they worked very well. I paid almost double because I bought th entire headlights, but I have the projectors for sale for $95 shipped to your door.

I have a EuroLite 9007 6000K Kit installed with Diamont Cut Headlights. They work amazing, aside from the fact that I don't have high-beams (didn't think of that). I had the bulbs in with the stock lenses, and they were not only inefficiently (is that right) distributing light, they were horribly distracting to other drivers (light everywhere). The Diamond headlights were an INSTANT fix. Now I just need to figure out the high-beam dilemma...

Back