• Register Today It's free!

HIDDEN winch mount?

sundown

Reaction score
City, State
Montpelier, Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport
Warn? No. Ramsey? Nope. Does anyone know who makes a winch mount kit that is fairly well hidden? They only seem to exist for the full size trucks.... I might even settle for one that is mounted inside a bumper, any ideas? Does anyone have a hidden mount? Is is huge $$$$ to have a custom bumper fab'ed? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, you have that big slot in front. I don't think it would cost way too much to have a winch cradle that would bolt onto the frame right behind the bumper. The only problem I see is clearance between the bumper and everything behind it. The fabricator would make some type of bumper spacer that would place the bumper out a few inches to allow clearance for the winch. I know there was an ad in the 4wheel parts wholesalers magazine about the super duty/excursion hidden mount, and it is a big fullsize yet they still had to move the bumper out a few inches, so I think that a mid-size suv would have to too. But I seriously don't think it would cost way too much to make a winch cradle and some bumper spacers. You may try looking up a 4x4 or fabricating shop in the phone book and asking them about it.

TJM makes bumper that hides the winch completely as long as the winch is a low profile. I have the TJM T17 with a Ramsey REP9000 and the only thing shown are the roller fairlead and the hook.

kvo,

Do you have a website, phone# or mailing address for them?

thanks.

The bumpers are fairly cheap and easy to modify. I doubt that the winch would fit between the bumper and the engine but you would be able to weld on a spacer that would put the bumper out a few more inches and put the winch behind that. I'm not sure where you live but I know that 4wheelparts have done said they could make just about any bumper I want work for the explorer.

Good luck
ps...I want pictures if you do this

Dead Link Removed

Sundown -

Do a search on the site for TJM and you'll find the website. I can't remember where or what it was. I haven't even try to post a picture on here so I don't know how. I can e-mail you a picture of my front bumper so you can see.

Here's a picture of Khoa's truck
Ray :)

hhills3.jpg

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 08-15-2000 at 09:04 PM]

The only way you can get a hidden mount is to fab it yourself or have a shop do it. I did mine two weeks ago and only had to move the bumper out two inches. Fabbed all my own brackets and mounting plate . I took pics and the roll of film should be used up this weekend, so I'll get the pics to Rick so he can post an install article.

I have a 90 ranger and I used a Milemarker hyd winch which is dimensionally smaller than most electric winches because of the solenoids so Im not sure if it would work for you.

Good luck!

Bump.

Cool, thanks Ray.

Back