High milage explorers? | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High milage explorers?

My husband has a 95 EB with 330,000 miles on it. He is the original owner and loves this vehicle.

It's on it's 4th transmission and the one in there now is slipping between lst and 2nd gears. It's been doing this for a few months but still driven every day.

It is having electrical gremlins now. The check engine light, airbag light and OD flashing lights are on. It has the problem where the radio control lights blink irregularly when you turn on the headlamps. When this happens, you can't see the OD light is on or the 4WD indicator light is on either.

It has had a fuel pump replaced and runs rough in hot weather. Has had very little suspension work. Just brakes, etc.

The rear door passenger door doesn't unlock regularly.

The air doesn't stay in the back support baffles anymore.

It uses no oil with all these miles on it. We are kind of waiting for it to die but know it will be missed when it does. It has the original battery and shocks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow this thread is still going....sort of like the energizer bunny!

Well we still have our 1991 XLT which was purchased in Jan of 1990. Would have gone for the EB but didn't like the rims as much or the two tone at the time.

We have just under 394,000 kms on it (Canadian eh) and besides the primer debonding on the hood and roof and the standard rust areas, rocker panels, fender edges and front hood lip the body is in decent shape considering we have never done any body work on it.

The motor is noisey (top end) and we are using oil although running Castrol High milage motor oil has made a big difference in fuel consumption and oil use. Also makes the engine run quieter.

But this truck owes me nothing!

I have the factory 5 spd std which is pretty rare from what I discovered when I had my original rad replaced last summer. Replaced the following once, clutch (at 200,000 km just figured it was due as pedal pressure was getting high), rad (last year), starter (4 years ago), auto locking hubs (to manual 3 years ago) and shocks (last year). Everything else under the hood is original though would need an AC rebuild as I have a refrigerant leak somewhere. Possibly in the heat exchanger? As I also have a mystery antifreeze loss that I haven't been able to solve by replacing the rad and hoses. I don't think it's a head gasket going but could be given the age of the motor. No smell of antifreeze in the truck so not sure where it is and no residue in the tailpipe.

The electronic 4wd stopped working again last year, was fixed at the dealer 5 years ago and think at the time they had to replace a motor.

I have the JBL system with subwoofer, the head unit is intermittant and it is bad contacts on the back of the radio. Thumping the dash brings it back sometimes but it is an odd intermittant in that it might also be related to heat. Still sounds great when it's working though Ford must have limited these units as you can't really crank them up and make them distort like the older unit in my T-Bird.

The factory manual sunroof is still tight and dry.

I have the optional articulated sport seats with one rip in on the drivers side. Otherwise again everything is in great shape consider age and use. These are really nice seats, don't think they are an option any more. Kind of expensive but great for long trips.

The exhaust system is rotted out but then it is only the second one on the truck and is about 7 years old! Not sure whether to fix it up, hmmm sounds like a post I made a few years ago to this very same thread.....should I fix her up or sell for parts.....

Any suggestions for exhaust systems, duels? :D Eg will probably have to replace the headers on back. Hmmm guess if I'm doing this should have the motor pulled and rebuilt too as the other day the truck started rough with a backfire and now feels like it is running on 5 of 6 cylinders when cold with faint smell of gasoline. (blown piston, or plug??).

Has anyone order the aftermarket replacement body parts such as hood, fenders and rocker panels? Actually does anyone make a fiberglass hood and fender kit? Probably would make more sense to replace those items with fiberglass though I suppose it's taken me 14 years to use up the metal ones I have....

Kevin

I have a stock 92 XLT with 158K miles on it. Trans went out at about 120K and I am having some fuse problems right now. Radius arm bushings were replaced. Pretty much everything else is normal wear and tear, about what you would expect from a 12 year old vehicle.

In fact it is my winter survival vehicle, only drive it when it snows. I just love tooling by people on the road when in 4WD.

94 XLT 4.0 - 173k and change

- trans was replaced before i bought it
i'm sure its had shocks and balljoints at some point, or it wouldnt ride as well as it does.

since i've owned it - feb 03
- EGR system
- brakes
- tires
- factory radio crapped out
- small PS leak, just gotta top it off every couple months, same with the coolant.
- transfer case shifter motor siezes up if its not used for a while, but a light tap with a hammer usually fixes that.

thats about it. i've put about 12k on it with no problems. Paint is perfect, minus a stone nick here and there, no rust whatsoever. interior is also flawless, i dont think its even ever had passengers in the backseats :eek: engine runs like a top, its had mobile1 in it since the first 3k miles.

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
134,000 Miles

Problems:
IAC valve, cleaned
EGR Valve Sensor, Replaced
Battery, Replaced
Alternator, Replaced
Tires, put on Yokos when I see them worn out

I change the oil every 3k miles and tune up every 12k

Truck is in excellent condition, probobly cause I baby it.

I feel pretty fortunate, aside from routine maintenance; filters, plugs, brakes, tires, etc... I have not done any repairs or replacements (although I think I may be doing ball joints in the near future.

I have a '96 XLT with the 5.0 and just turned 140,000 miles. I bought this truck new in '96 with only 17 miles on the clock and I couldn't ask for a better running rig.

I have taken this on the mountain trails in Oregon with a couple of the Jeep clubs and although I don't have the flex they do the Exp still handled excellent, even with only a few minor mods.

As much as my family wants to get into a new Expedition I just can't quite give up on the Explorer yet, still looks and runs like new. My only complaint would have to be the exhaust manifolds and the ticking but even that can be taken care of.

Thanks...

I've got a 1993 4x4 with 192,000. I don't know the repair before 70,000 but I imagine it wasn't very much.

I've had to replace the radiator, brakes all around (including rotors) and have had one problem with an intake manifold gasket, clutch and slave cylinder.

I have an engine knock, and my transmission just blew. I'm thinking about replacing the entire engine and transmission.

I have a '92 XLT with 142K. I bought it at 72K, before which nothing was done. I'm on my third set of tires, had the trans rebuilt at 120K. I just had the ball joints replaced, repaired the door handle pulls, and had to install a new driver's seat that actually broke at around 80K. New shocks and brakes not too long ago, also. At around 90K I had to replace one front rotor, but this was my own fault because I couldn't get to the shop in time for the brakes.

The A/C compressor seized at around 95K, and the blower fan went out around 110K. I'm replacing both soon.

The 4X4 really worked well after I bought it, but quickly stopped working. I never had it fixed because I allmost never use it, but now its on my list because I want everything to work on this thing. It has also started to burn a little oil.

Otherwise, no problems. I don't consider any of these to be out of the ordinary with the exception of the trans going out and I think four wheel drive should work considering the premium you pay for it. There is some rust on the passenger side rear wheel/rocker panel, but this hasn't been garaged since I bought it and sits outside year round. I don't really care because its more a truck than anything. I just kicked it off the other day! Oh yeah, the paint still looks good, which kind of surprises me.

I have a 97 XLT 5.0L AWD with 88K. So far I have replaced (in order of breaking) remote antenna, Brakes twice, needs new rotors. Fixed leaking brake caliper boots and rusted slides, rear pinion seal (leaked), Upper and lower front ball joints and control arm bushings ($500 total), O2 sensor (check engine light), bulb on steering wheel cruise control button (retrofitted from Taurus thanks to this group - saved over $130), front driveshaft (because of bad bearing), shocks ($15 Gabriels...another good tip from this group).

Things I need to fix:
Damn neon center brake light (dealer wants $300, I'm buying ballast for $85 and doing it myself), A/C has hole in hose, I have succumbed to the exhaust "ticking", and thanks to this group, finding the bad EGR hose or whatever is my mission this weekend (and maybe replacing the $8 spark plugs I bought some time ago but never got the time to replace). Paint is also flaking off roof and is almost gone from the stock roof racks. THe chrome on the grille is gone in some areas, exposing the ugly yellow plastic underneath.

Overall, I am a bit unhappy with all the major repairs needed to a vehicle that is only 6 1/2 years old. Thanks to this group and a Chiltons manual, I have saved thousands. If I was like most soccer moms, and went to the dealer for all my repairs, I'd be pissed. But, I'm getting a boat this year, so I'm grateful I have the 5.0L

Mark

My 92' XLT is about 25km short of 300k. :)

I'm not sure what was done on it before I bought it (@295k), but I changed the shocks, exhaust, and sanded/repainted the dog legs or whatever they are called.

i just hit 160,000 on my 5.0. The best part is that it has only needed regular maintenence. Other than the performance mods i have done to the motor, everything is stock and the original ones. Motor, Tranny, Diffy, body, everything is original and runs like a champ....

Well, I did the spark plugs this weekend, and oh, what a fiasco. I tore a wire trying to pull the boot off...i held the base and pulled as gently as I could, but it was siezed to the plug. Soooo, hunted for new wires, and found out there were 2 versions in 1997, which only the 1st version was on everybody's shelves, and I needed the 2nd (with clips). Finally found them, wired them up (after killing my knuckles getting the #4 one in (it routes under the air plenum and on top of the valve cover). Well, like an ass, I used a screwdriver to push one of the wires through a space my fingers couldnt go. Sure enough, It ran like sh*t, and check engine light flashed. After checking all connections, EGR hoses (I never DID find that EGR hose leak), I finally discovered, in the dark, that the boot was arcing to the metal shroud, Here, I had punctured the boot with the screwdriver. Sooo, put on an old one and, viola! It runs like a chap now....just hope I didnt damage my CAT.

122K with no major problems.

'92 Explorer Sport, 2 Door, 4.0L, auto hubs, A/C - pretty much stock ---FOR NOW!
Current mileage: 138,000

Replaced so far:

Total Tranny rebuild "OUCH",*Alternator,*Starter,
*Wheel bearings,*U-joints,*Front rotors,*brake pads,
*exhaust from Cat. back,*thermostat, Radiator hoses
*plugs and wires,*A/C conversion
*Sound system (Elected) Alpine Head unit, 4 JL speakers on 200 watt amp, 600 Watt Kenwood Amp driving 2 - 10" Kicker comps.
*Viper keyless entry/alarm system (elected).

IN NEED OF REPAIR:
*Engine rebuild - (low compression in #1 & #2 Cylinders) Running terrible - will be in the shop in about two weeks, hopes it lasts that long!
*Pass. side door bushings
*Exhaust system again! (Going w/ duals and 70 series mflr).
*Interior Door handle/elect. window panels - both sides are broken! Handles broke off in my hands while shutting door
*Rearview mirror - fell off again! Who invented glass mounted mirrors anyway?
*Windshield washer motor - front
*Windshield wiper motor - rear
*Classic Explorer rocker panel rust repair.

WANTING TO MOD:
*2" body lift
*31X10.5 or 31X12.5 BFG MT's or XTerrains on 15X8 Rock Crawlers
*4" Suspension lift
*Dual Steering stabilizers
*Lightbar and O/R lights
*Brush/grill guard
*Winch
*Misc. Intake/exhaust upgrades
*Gear ratio changed - to be determined after suspension lift.
*As well as a unending list of more fun stuff!

130,000 miles
Maintenance
-lower intake manifold gasket(~100,000)
-ball joints(120,000)
-u-joints(~100,00)
-wheel bearings(120,000)
-clutch(100,000)
-2x foglights (people keep backing into me)
-door hinges(90,000Driver&115,000Passenger)
-rear hatch lock
-battery(100,000)

-middle pop-out window(broken into)
-Radio-(80,000)
-Speakers(80,000)
-Tires(Too Frequently)
-Shocks(110,000)
-A/C recharge(8 Lbs R-12 so far-shh, don't tell EPA)
Non Maintence mods
-paint (85,000)
-Custom catback, no muffler
-Shackles/spacer*one hell of an alignment bill*
-Speakers(80,000)
-Front tow hooks w/custom fab(box tuning ubolted to the frame)
*Man I've spent alot of $ on the X, you just don't think about it until you add it up!

STILL WONDER??????

Still have to say. In hours of reading this site (its like a soap opera, you cant get away from). I still don't see that many 94 XLT 4x4 on here. Did they do something right before they went and screwed it all up again in Gen's 2? :eek: :eek:

91 Eddie

177,000 miles.
Rotors, Callipers
Transmission A4LD
U-joints
air intake
31x10.5x15
Warn maual hubs
Head gaskets
Intake manifold gasket
Thermostat
alternator
Radio
Shocks
Rocker panels

All in all there has been some things but gemnerally a great truck all that I have done and replaced has cost me around $1800. Great deals on parts and doing all the work myself I have kept it on the road for quite some time now. and it still runs.
Hope to get about 250,000 miles out of it.

so 376,000 miles on a 91 is the most? can anybody beat that? man, oh man... my Sportster with ONLY123,000 has got a lot of miles to go to catch-up... and I hope it will sooner or later. My son already told me that he wants the truck when I'm done with it... my son is 10
:D

good luck all!

'91 Sport XLT 242K miles:

Transmission rebuilt at 100K
Radius rod bushings (both)

The oil pump went out and it's currently "resting" while we decide what to do b/c of engine miles. It also needs a paint job, which it's needed since we bought it. Very reliable vehicle!

'99 Sport XLT 101K miles:

Rotors

Again, very reliable... and good paint this time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a '92 Explorer XLT, I bought it with 123K miles. I knew the lady who had owned it since new. I didn't know her teenage son had driven it for awhile...

Most of what I've replaced is normal wear stuff. I rebuilt the motor at 135k because I was pumping out antifreeze. Weak heads.

Front end stuff, a couple ball joints, bushings. Radiator, P/S pump. Right now, waiting to be fixed:

---radio, used to work intermittently, now not at all. Bought a radio to replace, should be here tomorrow. I found an adaptor to plug into the premium sound system, so I can use the amp and sub.

---temp gauge. I've replaced the gauge and the sending unit. I'll check wiring next, I guess.

---rear wiper does not "home." I'm told I can clean the contacts.

---I've had a noisy lifter since the rebuild, I will find and fix that.

---Intermittent start problems, I think it's the starter solenoid.

---I'll no longer pay for R12 to charge the system, I seem to have a steady supply of new leaks. Will convert to R134.

---trans is weak. It's just a matter of time.

164K miles.

Back