High Mileage SOHC's Explorers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

Yeah, thats what I mean...I completely rebuilt the transmission @ 105K because I lost reverse. My sway bar end links broke, and now my alternator crapped out. Seems like everything will go first before these engines let out with or without noise.

...on top of that, the cost of repair is nearly $2000 with labor. You're at a point where:

A) The truck isn't really worth much more
B) You could just buy a reman/junkyard engine and have it installed for that amount.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

164K on my moms '98 Mounty! Original everything minus tuneup parts and recently done by me thermostat housing!

140,000kms (90,000 miles) on my 2000 Explorer. No problems to date (knock on wood).

I am however hearing a noise that occurs at speeds above 40mph... doesn't matter if I'm accelerating, coasting or braking.. its sort of a light rubbing noise (I don't want to say rattle) almost like wind noise or something but it's coming from the front left area of the car. Does this sound like the infamous SOHC rattle to anyone? By chance could it be my OEM hood deflector?
Thanks!

Yeah, thats what I mean...I completely rebuilt the transmission @ 105K because I lost reverse. My sway bar end links broke, and now my alternator crapped out. Seems like everything will go first before these engines let out with or without noise.

...on top of that, the cost of repair is nearly $2000 with labor. You're at a point where:

A) The truck isn't really worth much more
B) You could just buy a reman/junkyard engine and have it installed for that amount.

^^^^^^^
True that. How long has your noise been there? Mine has been rattling for about 10K (here come the flames...).

hit 187,000 today

Not that high, but I did pass the 100K mark a few months ago. Sitting at about 106 right now.

Right around 107.. i think not sure what it was before i went away to college and so far it's putting up with my abuse...:eek: no repairs that i know of yet to the engine.. just the normal sparks, wires, and oil.. oh yeah.. lots of gas.. :D

I inherited a 97 yesterday. I drove from Florida to Virginia, towing a Uhaul full of other inherited junk. The 97 has 270,000 miles and the only thing I noticed to be wrong was a slight ticking. She seems to run like a champ!

I got 157,000 on my 1999 and i have been driving with the chain rattle now for 20,000 miles but when i bought it it was making the noise so who knows how long the other guy drove it like that. I baby it so we will see how long it goes for...then it's time for a REMAN.

178K on my 97. The engine still runs strong. OD prob;rems with the transmission, it's just a local driver now.

135,000 on my 99 Sport. Rattles when cold then goes away. Trans changed at 129,000 with a new/used from a 2000 Explorer. Normal maintenance only, right hub replaced. I just got a 2001 V-8 AWD with 301,000 miles on the clock. It has exhaust issues and a hood latch I can't figure out what is wrong there. Seems like if it's maintained regularly, miles don't hurt it. Now to get rid of the AWD and make it a 4x4 with my extra transfer case from the 5r55e I'd be happy.

150k on my '01 SOHC rattles on startup, sounds like a power stroke at idle, pings like crazy when driving other then that it runs good.:p:

Week after thanksgiving, going to tear into the engine.

got 109,000 on my 2001 sport! still runs like new!!! amazing!!!!

My '01 Sport has 107k miles. Only thing still original is the transfer case. Somehow that's still working fine. Everything else front to back has been rebuilt or replaced multiple times.

141k on my 2000 XLT. Powertrain is original and still runs like new. Biggest issue I had was the GEM module at 100K. Other than that, mostly minor issues (Couple of IAC valves) and normal wear and tear. Overall, been a very good truck...that's why I just got a new 08 XLT!! :D.

I got 83,209 miles on my 01 sport 4x2

My '01 Sport has 107k miles. Only thing still original is the transfer case. Somehow that's still working fine. Everything else front to back has been rebuilt or replaced multiple times.

Sounds like you got a lemon!:thumbdwn:

This Explorer replaced my Mustang that was bought back by Ford under lemon law. That Mustang replaced another Mustang lemon. I didn't bother trying to deal with lemon law BS with the Explorer.

My '07 G6 had interior trim panels fall off and needed electrical work the first week I had it. It just had engine work done at 10k miles. It was spewing oil out the side of the intake.

Doesn't matter what I buy. I have really bad luck with everything. My wife and I have the same cell phones. Hers works fine. Mine only holds a charge for 4 hours and doesn't ever get a full signal...this is the replacement too.

Worked on one a couple weeks ago at the Ford dealer I work at.
An 02 with 492,000 miles. It's used as a taxi. And I can tell you, they don't maintain them well at all! So reliabilty is not an issue. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '97 Explorer is currently at 90,300. However, my SOHC engine broke 4,000 miles ago because of the timing chain problem. I got me a new engine, so technically my SOHC engine only has 4,000 miles. :(

Back