High Mileage SOHC's Explorers | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

An 5r55e SOHC 4.0 with 360,000 miles, thats all original? Is that Jesus Christ's Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

212,000 on my 99 explorer sport

new trans at 62k, i use it for family and towing camp trailer . Blend door needs repair , looking for shocks and will be changing plugs and wire this year. 98,250 miles

"flush your tranny fluid!!" cant stress that enough!

Anybody think that Ford might be interested in having a look at my 2000 Explorer Sport that has over 360,000 miles on the original 4.0 SOHC motor and 5 speed automatic trans, neither of which has had any repairs during the life of the vehicle. No joke, the two most serious repairs I've had are an alternator and a water pump replacement. Aside from a check engine light brought on by a small vac leak, the truck show every indication of running for the foreseeable future.

360K...That is amazing...I would not let FORD touch it.

2000 xlt 202560 (new trans at 176000), 2002 Sport 5 speed 129000, 2003 xlt 150000.

232,700 Miles on a 2002 XLT 4.0

1997 Explorer Sport 4x4 limited slip etc...

212,6xx miles as of today. Runs amazingly well and shifts smooth. I don't drive her hard though, it's my DD and that is a lot of miles. I want to get the most out of her as I can.

1997 Eddie SOHC 4X4 with 188234.

Did a trans flush and replaced the air bag module due to having a air bag light when I purchased.

i have 257Km on my 03, just a little noise in the rear diff

186,000. Used tranny put in at 140k. Off an '01 w/ 96k.

173,000k on my '99 limited 4x4... minor oil leak, rattling rear timing chain, about to replace upper/lower ball joints; replaced thermostat housing x 3; replaced radiator and fan and recently replaced swaybar bushings. I have the impending doom feeling that my tranny is about to go out. It is hesitating when I'm going to pass someone on the freeway. She's also due for some new tires. I've been riding sport king tires (from discount tire) which are no longer made. Any good suggestions on tires? I still get really good gas mileage 19/23 which stayed the same when I first bought her. She has been a Really great daily driver for many years with a lot of road trips!!!

High Mileage

I have a '97 4WD, EB, with the 4.0 L SOHC engine.
It currently has 114K miles on it.
Last year, it deleloped the infamous death rattle, and I had to replace the front left timing chain guide which was in numerous pieces.
In general, it runs great, but I'm still trying to find the source of a slightly rough idle.

Dick

199k on my 2k SOHC. I'll hit 200k this week.

236,x.. on my 97 4x4 explorer xlt.. Never a problem with the motor or tranny.. taken a few road trips from ct to fl and back.. Just this past year startin to have problems with the tranny you can hear it slip when goin into 2nd..

I just purchased a 97 XLT 4.0 l (efi not sohc) last week with 261xxx showing on the clock. Didn't even look at the milage when I drove it, it ran strong, no problems. Got it from the wreckers where he figured it must have had a rebuild. Why? "Because it runs so strong!" Seems to be all original, from what I can see. The old owner had the oil changed last month and put 5000 miles on it since then!!!
Needs a t-connector for the windshield fluid lines, bulb on right driver side dash, and a new drivers side inside door latch. Power steering fluid was low. Had a rip on the drivers seat, the usual one right at the seam getting in. Other than that..oh yeah and it STANK stinky gross narly disgusting smell.... apparently that's the smell of children lol.. who knew the little stinkers could be so foul. I detailed it myself and the sour milk-cum-cattle poop smell is gone. Here's hoping I get another 261xxx out of it.
It runs so strong that I"m almost curious enough to pull a Carfax on it.

And sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I just joined the forum and couldn't find any high milage efi-not-sohc threads lol

Also, it's my first explorer and my second ford (my first is a 08 GT mustang). I was always a chevy girl till now!

Update: 97 xlt now up to 202,6xx stock trans, and engine. still going!

154k 199 Mtneer. Original tranny and engine. Just replaced wear items and alternator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My girl has over 191xxx on her 01 sport

Back